3 1/2 months post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 1/2 months post-op

Postby Guest » 07 Feb 2011, 20:42

I just wanted to update on my experience with my lis/skin tag removal.
It's been 3 and 1/2 months since my LIS and things have been pretty good.
I have had a really positive experience with my surgery. I would do it all over again if I had to.
As others before on this board have said LIS is not a quick fix. It takes time for a fissure to heal. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because my fissure pain left as soon as I had my surgery. I haven't felt it since the bm I had before LIS. There was a prickly feeling but not while having the bm and it went away about 6 weeks after my surgery, just as my CRS told me it would. The soreness from the tag being removed left about the same time.
I've kept a very strict diet of mostly fissure friendly foods, took miralax and drink plenty of water as I did before LIS. I eat bites of forbidden fissure food once in awhile and eat way too many sweets and have had no problems.
I still don't lift heavy things or do anything to strenuous just being cautious.
The only thing that really annoys me is up to about 2 hours after a bm, I have to clean often because of mild leaking- not pooping in my pants but it's like I didn't clean well the first time... I just use the shower wand several times through out the day or baby wipes when not at home.
I have not had any pain with bm's since LIS. I had mild discomfort about the first two weeks but it was a soreness not fissure pain.
All in all it's been a very positive experience for me. I had a great surgeon.
I prayed for God to use my surgeons hands to do his work the morning of my surgery and I feel blessed that it's been up-hill for me.
I hope my experience will help and encourage others who may be on the fence about having this surgery.
Take care, Good Luck and prayers to you all. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Image

Re: 3 1/2 months post-op

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Feb 2011, 23:03

Dawn, it's great to hear that you're kicking so much ass after surgery. And to think how freaked out SOMEONE was beforehand Image Image Image Image
For what it's worth, I also feel the same thing about needing to clean more. Feels like it's tough to wipe until things are "clean as a whistle" the very first time. I can't decide if it's something new post-surgery or if it's psychological though (since I never really paid much attention to the, ahem, area before this "interesting" phase of my life started).
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bumbutt » 08 Feb 2011, 03:07

That's really great. I hope your recovery keeps getting better and better!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2011, 06:10

I'm so happy you are doing ok NG. You had me worried!
My butt gets real irritated or I don't think I would know it's getting messy down there. It's good to hear I'm not alone though ,LOL

Postby cherylk » 08 Feb 2011, 06:27

Dawn,
Happy you are doing so well. I also remember how freaked out you were b/4 having the surgery (I probably would have been the same way).
Could you please mail me some of that warm Florida sunshine? We are back in the deep freeze with -2 degrees this morning (but at least not having a blizzard).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2011, 08:35

Cheryl,
I can't even imagine being that cold, Lol
I am a true Floridian. I freeze when it gets below 70 degrees. Wish I could mail you some :)
I was in a bad state of mind before LIS. I'm so thankful to have found you all Image

Postby cherylk » 08 Feb 2011, 11:50

Contemplating a return trip to warmer weather in March with my son this time. He wants to go skiing in Colorado; I want to head to the Southeast again.
I think even colder weather is forecast for tonight. I don't listen to my weather radio as it is depressing; at least it is sunny right now!! Image
Nice to see "healed" on your personal info. Reading that gives hope to those that are still suffering.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 08 Feb 2011, 14:41

That's great news dawn, keep up the good work, don't worry about the cleaning routine, I had many issues with that for the first 3-4 months, it's a very small price to pay and won't last for ever.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby happyass » 08 Feb 2011, 18:16

this is wonderful news to hear dawn!!!!
i am thankful for all your encouragement personally on the skin tag - as really that sucker should have been removed ages ago now that i know what i know! LOL. you helped me keep my cucumbers cool!
can you believe you are at 3.5 months out? phew. how time flies when you love your bum!
congratulations on your success and continued healing.
big hugs!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2011, 06:17

Happy,I'm so touched that my story actually helped you.
I was terrified of this surgery and would have done it sooner if I knew what I know now too.
Cheryl, I hope you get a trip again to some warmer weather :)
You are such a sweet lady and have been so supportive.
Steve, I agree the leakage is a small price to pay and It's good to hear that it will get better.
I appreciate all the support you have given me since the first day I logged into this forum :)
Bumbutt, thank you for the well wishes. I hope you get there soon and are over the butt issues too ♥