Diltiazem - with grit in it? Please help!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diltiazem - with grit in it? Please help!!

Postby Savaici » 15 Feb 2011, 12:28

Would very much appreciate advice from anyone who has this ointment in the US. I have just got some ointment compounded by the pharmacy in the supermarket where I live, and it has what feels like pieces of sand scattered through it. It cost me $6, which is not much, but is the colour of petroleum jelly (which I am allergic to on the inside), very thick and gritty. The pharmacy is not a compounding pharmacy, just did it as a favor. I am so disappointed as surely it is not supposed to feel like sand.
I am not sure how it would work with a compounding pharmacy, whether it can be done online, but this is just awful.
Appreciate any help with the name of a pharmacy I would be able to use through my doctor.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Diltiazem - with grit in it? Please help!!

Postby Savaici » 15 Feb 2011, 13:34

Did a little sleuthing around myself, and discovered that it can be made as a gel, and found a compounding pharmacy. Would still appreciate hearing whether a gel works or a cream is better. Thanks.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby StevePain » 15 Feb 2011, 14:26

I can't vouch for a gel but I had a bit of success with cream, I also had some Diltiazem that was petroleum based and was quite gritty and thick, I used it for a while then developed a severe itching reaction to it and had to stop, so I would go with the gel or cream personally.
GL
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Feb 2011, 15:59

Either one should be okay. I've used dilatiazem in both gel and cream form, and personally liked the gel better because it was marginally easier to apply using my syringe. But as a vehicle for delivering the drug, both will suffice so long as it's mixed properly by a compounding pharmacy (i.e., using an ointment mill as opposed to simply crushing pills up using a mortar and pestle). Bear in mind that it will likely cost substantially more from a compounding pharmacy. There are some trains of thought as to whether gel or cream adheres and absorbs better, which one is less likely to cause an allergic reaction, etc. etc., but IMO at the end of the day, for all intents and purposes, it's mostly personal preference.
One thing you might ask the pharmacy is which one they generally prefer for rectal use. Most pharmacies will use a different type of solution depending on where the drug is to be applied, and that might make the decision for you.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 15 Feb 2011, 16:46

Surely there must be a compounding pharmacy near you that could make a gel-based ointment. I think mine was a gel as it was clear (no grit). I can post the name of my pharmacy in Illinois if you wish. I'm assuming they would ship it to you. They do lots of compounding and have their own lab. I was just there today buying my fiber supplement that I now use instead of metamucil (less fillers, more natural, and more expensive).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Savaici » 15 Feb 2011, 16:56

I think that I live in one of the most isolated parts of the States. We have one supermarket, a few fast food restaurants, a baker, a Swedish shop, Rite Aid, and that about covers it. The nearest town is 3 hours away and I could find no compounding pharmacy there, in fact not one in the whole state. So, I have found one in Boston, and that is where I will probably have it sent from. My doctor will begin to think I have lost my senses! Now I have to explain everything again. Thanks for the help.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby cherylk » 15 Feb 2011, 17:06

As long as you continue to keep playing the games here, I'll continue to help you. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2011, 09:05

Thanks. I will continue!!! Image
So much pain today. And now the doctor will be thinking I am totally silly. Anyway, better get on the phone and try to explain it all. I have been procrastinating this morning and lying on the bed in a fugh.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2011, 12:30

Success! Gel to be compounded, with lidocaine in it. Now to wait with hope for its arrival.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby sphinctersaurus » 16 Feb 2011, 15:39

That must be a relief! I had the same problems here in NZ with poorly made Diltiazem. My local pharmacy's seemed completely clueless. Nobody seemed to grasp why I wouldn't want to apply their gritty creams to an open wound, and worse, didn't seem to be aware that there was such a thing as a compounding pharmacy.
Glad you got this sorted! Hope it arrives quickly.
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10