Stool softener advice for post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Stool softener advice for post surgery

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 21:40

pss... yes just give yourself a couple of weeks and then deal with the leakage. You may not even have it.

Postby Bambi » 16 Feb 2011, 00:03

Thanks so much- sounds like a good plan Dawn!
As my husband often says "don't borrow trouble".
I'm trying not to, but it is easy to get worked up. Thanks to everyone for all the support.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby StevePain » 16 Feb 2011, 02:50

Miralax made me too loose and caused leakage after LIS, this continued for a good 3 months on and off, the stools were far too loose and inevitably some leaked out b/c of the sphincter being so slack. Since then I quit the Miralax and only have fibre supplements (Fybogel) and have absolutely no leakage, Miralax can make stools overly soft and doesn't agree with everybody, my advice would be don't use a laxative unless you suffer from constipation, simply up the intake of fibre which should suffice, or take fibre supplements.
BTW, I am not healed down there but know that not having runny irritating stools that cause leakage has definitely helped me, I.E. I only use the bathroom once or twice a day rather than 5-10 times when using Miralax, it's obvious that going too many times will cause irritation and hamper the healing process, I just wish I'd of realised this much sooner!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 16 Feb 2011, 08:21

I think I will try Cheryl's recipe when I cut down on the miralax.
Steve,
I have 1-3 bm's a day with the miralax depending on how much I eat and what I eat. Lately I've had one a day. When I eat more fiber, I have more.
I can see where it was a problem for you having that many bm's. I can see how that could slow down recovery. I've never had real loose bm's with the miralax... Thank God, I'm scared of fiber supplements, but I guess if I had stools on the looser side, naturally then I wouldn't be so afraid of the supplements. As you all have said it firmed up your stools and I don't need that! Lol
It's crazy how different our digestive systems work...

Postby cherylk » 16 Feb 2011, 08:29

Dawn,
As I recall, I slowly decreased the Miralax at night while VERY slowly increasing the amount of the oat bran mixture. I am so happy that my butt is fine now!! :D
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 16 Feb 2011, 13:55

I swear by fibre supplements, bulk up those stools!! I'd rather have one or two decent sized BM's than shed loads of thin snake like turds that hurt and irritate an already compromised anus!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45