Stool softener advice for post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Stool softener advice for post surgery

Postby Bambi » 15 Feb 2011, 16:50

So I did get a sheet from my Dr. about post care yesterday. As many of you have, I have tried many different things over the last 11 months. At one point, I was taking Metamucil and stopped it because it seemed to really cause bloating and gas even after a while and with a fairly small dose. Then I switched to Citricel which was better but I started weaning things away. I was having BMs 5-6 times a day. At that time, I was using the fiber supplement, magnesium, flax oil, and the generic of Colace. Since then I found that the magnesium and flax oil seemed to be big culprits in increasing my frequency and dropped them out. And a few months ago, I added Miralax and now only use that (just 1-2 teaspoons at night in warm water).
So in his aftercare instructions, the CRS talks about starting a fiber supplement, taking Colace one or two times a day. I have read a few comments from people who feel that the Miralax seems to lead to some of the leakage later on. I've been scared to go back on the Citrucel because I didn't want to increase frequency or have too big of a bowel movement. Miralax seems to be helping me, but I know it makes me feel a little funny.
What would those of you who have been through LIS recommend? I am going to ask the CRS and tell him what I've been using (he has seemed to be fine with that up to this point- my gynecologist said last week that Colace was "relatively useless" in his mind and that he just recommended the fiber supplements. He did not seem happy that I was on the Miralax so long term.
Of course, I don't want to do anything to upset the apple cart after the surgery when I am taking pain meds. What do you think?
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Stool softener advice for post surgery

Postby cherylk » 15 Feb 2011, 16:55

Bambi,
Have you tried taking the oat bran/applesauce/prune juice mixture nightly??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bambi » 15 Feb 2011, 18:35

No, I don't think I have. I tried the flax seeds in water and those really made me have frequent, loose stools. Do you mean oat bran as in oatmeal? I have been having oatmeal and raisins every morning (the one with higher fiber) and an apple before bed each night, with of course lots of water (around 100 ounces) and at least 3 other fruits or veggies a day. Really, things are pretty ok right now- I just find myself wondering about long term.
I guess my real question is do those who have been through LIS think I should change anything in that department right not? I know Dawn eventually ended up switching to Miralax post surgery.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 15 Feb 2011, 19:13

You can buy a box of oat bran. It is usually with the hot cereals. I ordered a case and have many boxes in my basement. Here is the recipe again:
1 cup oat bran
1 cup applesauce (I used homemade but used store bought while in Florida)
1/4 cup prune juice
You can add spices like cinnamon if you wish.
Start with 1 tablespoon nightly and increase to 4 tablespoons nightly. Taking this at bedtime has allowed me to greatly reduce my nightly Miralax amount. You might want to try it!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bambi » 15 Feb 2011, 19:23

Thanks Cherylk-
That sounds healthy and I like the gradual nature of it.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 19:52

Bambi,
I'd stick with the miralax after surgery. I wouldn't change anything that's been working for you right now.
My CRS doesn't like miralax and doesn't know I'm taking it.
She only wants me taking fiber supplements. I had harder stools after surgery from the vicodin. I took about 5 colace a day up until I switched to the miralax and it didn't do anything for me. I bled just a little about 2 times after my LIS and the stools were harder when it happened. Your bm's could be larger after LIS so don't let that freak you out. It amazed me that that they didn't cause damage! But anyway, they will return to normal.
As for the leakage, you will have a discharge( most likely) right after your LIS for a short while and things can be a little nasty there anyway. Maybe you could continue what's been working and maybe change things after a short while as you heal after surgery. I really don't think the miralax is my issue because my stools are well formed and the leakage has continued to get better without me changing anything. I honestly think it can be just a part of the procedure- for some Image
I just don't get why I would be improving if it were the problem.
Good luck with your LIS Thursday :)

Postby William » 15 Feb 2011, 20:21

As far as I know, I'm the only one on this board who's had leakage problems directly from the Miralax, so it's probably not likely to happen to you. It also made me feel VERY funny, but I'm definitely in the minority. If you've been using it without too much difficulty and it's been helping, then you probably should continue. Changing your diet/medicine routine can mess with your BMs, so it's probably not a good idea to do that after surgery when regularity is needed most. Although upping the dose, or supplementing with colace may not be a bad idea.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 20:33

William,
Steve, says that after he stopped the miralax and firmed up the stool, it helped the leakage.
Maybe it depends on how loose it makes the bm's depending on the person?!

Postby Bambi » 15 Feb 2011, 21:03

Thank you guys-
I just talked with my CRS a little while ago and he basically said he would trust my judgement on what has been most helpful to me in keeping the bowel movements soft and ok for me. So I think I will just stick with the Miralax for now and I definitely planned to up the dosage to try to compensate for the pain meds. I'm not entirely sure how much to increase it. I was thinking about doubling what I am doing, which would still not be a complete dose. I guess the worst that could happen is things get a little too loose, which probably wouldn't be great, but I'm thinking better that than too hard, right?
And I'll just tackle the leakage question should it continue happening after the first couple of weeks?
Thanks again for always being there!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 21:38

Bambi,
I kind of played it by ear, I just did what I always did the day before surgery and then when I noticed the bm being a little firmer, I took 1 more colace then I had taken the day before, but like I said before I really didn't see a difference with the colace if I took 3 or 5. Maybe take just a little more to be on the safe side but not too much. I think too soft would be better than hard but you don't want to give yourself diarrhea by taking too much. It took a couple of days on the vicodin before I noticed the harder bm's.
I know a million things are going through your mind right now and I worried about the same thing, but everything you did before should work after LIS. Maybe like you said take just a little more. Even with a firmer bm, I didn't have pain like the fissure caused. I know that just doesn't seem possible....lol