painless chronic fissure ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

painless chronic fissure ?

Postby thegreat_in » 22 Feb 2011, 21:21

hello everybody
i had a question for some of the people here. i found this board very helpful and thought it will be useful to get your perspective
background:
last year feb 2010 i was constipated and got major anal fissure (broken glass during BM etc). as always the urgent care doctor thought it hemorrhoids and just gave me hydrocortisone. but i immediately changed my diet , took metamucil , colace etc and the pain stopped in week. in may i went to CR because I had some skin tags which i though was external hemorrhoids and he said that i actually had AF and it was fully healed and i was good to go. it was true and my life became normal. i still took colace and tried to eat healthy but pretty much back to regular stuff. get crazy drunk , eat pizza and never had any trouble
fast forward to this year and I had to go to Asia to visit my family in January. I got constipated during the trip (street food etc etc) and right before I left I had pain (very light may 2/10) during BM. I immediately knew it was fissure and also it happened 2 days before I left so once I got back to US i went on the healthy diet , metamucil etc. The pain went away in 3 or 4 days though i would have random discomfort (small spams which were not painful etc) couple of times during the day for 10-15 sec. I have no other symptoms - no pain or burning during BM , no blood . my stolls are very soft etc
So I went to the CR surgeon I saw last year today just to make sure everything was OK and he says my fissure is not healed and is actually turning chronic. I was devastated and very upset. Anyway he prescribed dilatiazem and wants me to try it for 6 weeks along with sitz bath. He thinks I have a 50% chance of healing it without surgery
So my questions are
1) will this actually work ? Can chronic fissures be healed without surgery at all ?
2) Has anybody had this kind of fissure which is painless and pretty much asymptomatic ?
I am very confused and depressed over this.
Thanks for reading this and sorry for the long post.
thegreat_in
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: painless chronic fissure ?

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2011, 21:51

hi there thegreat_in!
welcome to the analfissure board!
the good news is that if you combine your previous habits that helped heal/quiet your fissure the first time around in addition to the use of the diltiazem for 6 weeks, i believe you have a very good shot of recovering.
during this period of time, watch your diet and do your best to keep your BMs as soft as possible.
i believe people can have quiet, dormant fissures after a bout of fissure evil. i believe my fissure was dormant for almost 2 years but i was suffering with a very nasty skin tag. all it took was one really bad episode of constipation and i brought back my fissure and well, after almost 7 years of this, i got the surgery.
you are in a position that you have the diltiazem and follow your original routine. give it six weeks. i've seen some clinical research with the diltiazem and some patients were healed over a period of 9-10 weeks so if you are on a positive response with the cream by 6 weeks but not fully healed, go the extra 3 weeks or so.
good luck.
definitely okay to be confused!
but don't get depressed. there is a lot of hope for you.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby thegreat_in » 22 Feb 2011, 22:01

thanks happyas for your responses. the problem with AF imo is social and psychological. It is not something you can easily discuss and also not something you can control with pills. So for me right NOW the impact is more emotional than physical
I try to remind myself that things could be lot worse but I just cant get over the WHY ME part.
The only good thing (if you could call it that) is that I am eating very very healthy and losing weight in the progress
I definitely want to avoid surgery but lets see how it goes
thegreat_in
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby desperatehousewife » 23 Feb 2011, 15:53

I totally think you will heal! If it only hurt like a 2 out of 10, your laughing!
Continue sitz baths (3 - 4 a day) and try 1 tablespoon metamucil with water, followed by another glass of warm water twice daily, in addition to healthy eating. That will make you have a solid but very soft poop. If a fissure does not bother you, then you shouldn't bother going under the knife. In my opinion, that should be reserved for chronic pain that disrupts your everyday life. Good luck!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10