I've got the end of two weeks blues

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I've got the end of two weeks blues

Postby Bambi » 04 Mar 2011, 16:59

Yesterday was two weeks out for me from LIS and skin tag removal. I really am doing pretty well. I just read Sphinctersaur's post from yesterday and that made me feel a little better since he/she (sorry I can't remember!) sounds like some of my stuff is going on at week 3 as well. I know others have mentioned the chafing thing- I haven't noticed that so much until today. Today I walked around the block with my dog and was pretty miserable afterward because of the chafing thing. I didn't expect that- I hadn't really noticed it when just walking around the house. So that got me a little down. I also have noticed more itching and a little burning at both sites today- maybe this is just a new phase of healing? Sphinctersaurus said that this later part of recovery is almost worse and I would tend to agree- not in pain levels or anything (not wanting to discourage anyone because I would definitely do this again!) but I think I tend to think I should be doing more or further along and get scared and disappointed to still be having trouble at all! Just so impatient for those days ahead to hurry up and get here!
Thanks for listening as usual!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: I've got the end of two weeks blues

Postby alpinestrawberry » 04 Mar 2011, 23:11

I'm bummed it can't be a faster healing process, but I think in the long run, you'll get where you want to be! Your progress does seem normal, at least according to so many of the experiences I've read about here.
Surgeons love to tell us that we'll be a new person in three days after the surgery... Image After all, they are salesmen of a sort!
I can't wait to add my surgery experience to the postings here...unfortunately they still haven't scheduled me, jeez! I called on Wednesday and they said my file was on the desk of the lady who does the scheduling, and I would get a call by Friday (today). Well, today went by, and no call. I guess I can't force it, but I sure wish I had a date nailed down.
Take it easy, Bambi, lay around some more and in a few more weeks things should be better!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby sphinctersaurus » 05 Mar 2011, 00:02

Hey Bambi,
I am of course a lady Sphinctersaurus. No need to apologise ... It can be difficult to tell the difference, even for those who are expert in the field! :D
I know exactly what you mean regarding recovery. Right there with ya! The chafing will pass. It's almost gone for me, and we are only about a week apart in our recoveries, so don't worry about that. I'm still getting a little itching and burning too. Also, often I can 'feel' the LIS site. It isn't really pain but I can just feel it there. It's kind of tightness. Happyass talked about odd sensations post surgery so I'm not too worried. I assume it will all pass with time.
I feel impatient with all this too ... What I'd like is to have completely painless BMs, not have to worry at all about what I eat or drink and for everything to be just perfect. Jeez … Is that really so much to ask? My biggest fear at the moment is that despite everything I’ll continue with the pattern of heal, re-tear, heal, re-tear. I just keep telling myself that I have to be patient and that it will just take time.
Dawn has often advised people to measure progress week to week rather than day to day, which seems like pretty good advice!
We’ll get there!
:D
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 05 Mar 2011, 12:30

At only a couple of weeks post-op what can you expect? LIS isn't a quick fix in most cases and recovery can take months and even years in some cases, I'm at 7 months post-op and am not healed but I'm not letting it get me down, when I was only 2 weeks out from LIS I wasn't even remotely thinking things should feel good.. Sorry if I sound a bit abrupt but any kind of surgery is no walk in the park but surgery in the anal area is bound to be worse due to the sheer amount of nerves in the rectum and anus..
A great deal of patience and positive thinking is needed, after all it's surgery in a very sensitive area, if you feel good almost straight away then you are definitely one of the very few and should count your blessings.
Recovery times will inevitably be longer the longer you suffered with a fissure for, if you only had it a matter of months then healing and recovery will be simpler, the accumulation of scar tissue and depth of the fissure over time will impact on the recovery process because there is more surgical work to be done to rectify this, I believe this to be true, also, recovery times are lengthened for those that have more than one procedure.
My advice would be to just take it day-by-day, as I say, 2 weeks post-op is nothing, be patient and concentrate on the bigger picture.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bambi » 05 Mar 2011, 13:17

Thanks for the pep talk guys! And Steve you didn't seem abrupt, just trying to give me true perspective. Actually, I am probably one of the world's most patient people with everyone else but myself. Then I tend to get very fearful that I will do something to mess myself up and am very hard on myself in general. I have been working on stopping that, but I can see from my post and my reaction to surgery that tendency is very much there. I am spending the weekend "cacooning" as much as I can, curled up on the couch with the dog and watching silly TV and reading (and of course soaking!) My husband had to go out of town and he is wonderful, but I think when I am alone it is easier for me to give in to just resting and being more peaceful. Thanks for the support and Steve, I hope your healing continues and you soon will be done with all this.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby StevePain » 05 Mar 2011, 15:26

I know how hard this is Bambi, I have gotten very anxious at times and also annoyed at myself for having set backs but this doesn't help, any stress or negative thinking can affect the bowels, I have come to learn this big time! I now take everything in my stride and of course try to remain positive and in doing this slight progress is being made, it's slow though, very slow, right from the off I've had trouble with healing, it's just that I'm a slow healer.
Just remember to take things real easy and one step at a time, you might not notice any significant changes for a while but you will see slight improvement and you must be happy with that and see it as a step closer to being normal once again!
Best wishes ~ Steve
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 05 Mar 2011, 20:35

Bambi,
I just wanted to tell you that I recently started walking again at the track and I still get some irritation if I go several days in a row. This can be discouraging but I think it's just a part of the healing. It sucks sometimes to not be 100% back to where I was before the fissure.... but I just try and not get discouraged and to change things a little until I am:) I walk every other day and give my tush a break.
I have no pain with bm's at all and the little bit of leakage is practically gone at this point! I cut my miralax from 17gs to about 14 the past three days and so far it's been ok:)!!
I am so thankful for how far things have came since LIS! It is a slow process sometimes. Even without setbacks, things can take awhile to really be like it never happened. Just hold onto the fact that you have done the hardest part by having the surgery and the more time you have on this recovery, the better!
I was nowhere near fully recovered at two weeks. I was much better than I was before the surgery though and I looked at that as a good sign that things were moving in the right direction and they have, thank God!
Just try to relax and take it as it comes! I have been eating all kinds of goodies( for awhile )in moderation with no problems and that really helps to boost my moral and makes me feel like a real person again, Lol
I'm very careful about eating plenty of veggies and fiber food though.
It will get normal again and you will get better :)