intro to the group

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

intro to the group

Postby buttbegone » 07 Mar 2011, 21:57

Hi everyone, I'm Daniel, and I have an anal fissure <listless head lowered response from crowd in mumbled tones> "Hi Daniel."
Just kidding. I'm actually in a good mood because I found this site. Despite gut wrenching screams coming out of my mouth in the morning from passing stools that throw my butt into spasms, I am in a good mood. Despite my GP not knowing what he was looking for and ordering a sigmoidoscopy, and me, while lying on the examining table last week, trying to shove my head through the concrete wall to get away from the pain of the procedure, I am in a good mood. So, I say, hello.
I do have a question: after reading through many of the threads I am going to dive into a container of Miralax tonight. What is the quickest response time on this stuff? I find that I have a high metabolism so food passes through me at a decent pace. I'm having regular BMs but the size is beyond that which I can handle so am hoping to loosten them up. I have been on a fiber kick since the sigmoidoscopy (3/1) and am taking in more than 90g's of fiber per day from various sources and managing about 3 litres of fluid per day, probably more. Also doing sitz baths 2x a day. My Miralax concern is that if I take a dose before bed (am thinking a 1/3 dose at this point) will I be waking up in the middle of the night to hit the toilet? I am pretty regular with a BM in the 9a.m., or so, hour every day.
Some history in case it helps with an answer. I have been on the AF road for almost 2 months now. Not sure what caused it but have a theory it was a switch over to french roll sandwiches vs whole wheat bread for lunch every day. I had some serious bleeding with the barbed wire agony feeling, went to see the doctor, started taking some fiber while waiting for the sigmoidoscopy, and then since then have been on the 90g fiber binge. So far I have alleviated 95% of the bleeding but only 30% of the pain. Thoughts on the Miralax would be much appreciated.
Much thanks and am I glad I found you!
-Daniel
buttbegone
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: intro to the group

Postby Bumbutt » 08 Mar 2011, 01:37

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the group! I hope the information here will help you as much as it has helped me. One of the things that helped me most was the miralax (or movicol, outside of US). The amount you take really depends on your system, and everyone reacts differently to it. I started out with a quarter dose, afraid it would do too much - but the opposite was true, since at that dose it didn't do anything for me. Some recommend starting with a full dose and adjusting from there, which I think is a good idea. I currently take a 3/4 dose at night. It doesn't make me run to the bathroom in the night. My stomach grumbles a bit, but it's nothing I can't control.
90 grams of fiber??!! Well, everyone is different, but that might be a bit too much! You have to figure out what works for you, but I think the most important thing with a fissure is to achieve "Miracle Soft Poop", somewhat within the bounds of a sustainable life style... because you'll probably have to keep up the diet for some length of time, in order to keep the fissure healing and finally stay healed.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby thegreat_in » 08 Mar 2011, 04:19

you have a good positive attitude and that is the way to go
Here are my suggestions
1) 90 gms is way too much fibre. it is a overkill. also dont count the grams of fibre you take. just focus on eating fibre rich and healthy food every single meal. i honestly dont know how much fibre i get. but i make sure 90% of my diet is very healthy and fibre rich. when you are in lot of pain you want to make 100% of your diet fibre rich and healthy
2) you need to take more sitz baths especially when you are in the very painful phase. suggest atleast 4 sitz bath for 15-20 mins. make sure the water stays warm throughout
3) need to take in some more water. 3 lts is not enough especially with all the fibre , stool softeners etc. i try to drink around 4 litres of water
good luck
thegreat_in
Fibre Addict

Postby Elphie » 08 Mar 2011, 18:54

I have been dealing with my fissure for almost a year, I've had hemmerhoids on and off for 16 yrs and figured my fissure was just a really bad one. I found out from the Internet, sites like this what my problem was, then began the long road to recovery I am still on today. I am currently waiting for LIS which is scheduled for april13. Here in Canada there r many hoops to jump thru before u can get surgery. I changed my diet first, then nifedipine ointment with lidocaine, this helps numb the area briefly but didn't help to heal, in November I had the much anticipated Botox injection, which made everything MUCH WORSE. By day 5 after Botox I was calling my CRS crying hysterically thru the entire call. Now, I am a tough lady, 42 yrs old, 3 kids no pain releiffor childbirth, but this monster CRIPPLES me! I had to wait 3 months after Botox to see doc again, he still trying to convince me not to have surgery! I then asked if he could do it, was he any good, had he had successbefore, etc. He replied he has not had any problems has done the op thousands of times but that they don't do it often anymore because of all the other methods of healing available, none of which worked for me. I insisted and now I wait.
I found this site yesterday, glad u r here, for months I have been looking at the anal fissure self help page but have reread those old posts so many times I know it off by heart. One of my best tips is TELL PEOPLE, it cuts down on embarrassment and almost everyone I've I've told knows someone who had one and u get alot more understanding when u can't join everyone in regular activities becuz of your burning ring of fire. I even get the special chair at the dentist so there is no pressure when I sit thru a cleaning ( I was skipping these until I finally explained my issue with the receptionist who told me they have an extra padded chair for people with sore backs and such).
I am terrified of surgery but I know I need my life back so gotta risk it. I love there is somewhere to voice my fears, get advice, and feel like I'm not alone.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Continued Miralax questions

Postby buttbegone » 10 Mar 2011, 16:53

Hi all,
Thanks for the input on my fiber and Miralax question. I believe I saw a post on this forum from someone stating that Miralax gave them dizzy spells or lightheadedness, or was I just imagining it? I started taking it two nights ago, 1/2 dose night one, full dose night two. It seemed to me that I got fairly dizzy last night with the full dose. Anyone had experience with that? Also seemed to feel like my arms and legs were falling asleep, or at least getting that tingling feeling when they are not getting enough circulation. Thoughts?
I also expected my stools to loosen significately but I'm noticing only about a 10-15% improvement. A great improvement to be sure but was hoping for more. Still only one BM per day currently (which I am okay with). Anyone recommend taking more Miralax, or should I look to prunes (hate prunes but would do it for this cause)? Just give the Miralax more time?
Also, based on another thread I read, going to switch to some sort of soft, hot oatmeal for breakfast vs the large bowl of Fiber One that I've been downing with lactaid. Hope that'll help too.
Much thanks
Daniel
buttbegone
Fibre Addict