Miralax - sipping vs. gulping?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Miralax - sipping vs. gulping?

Postby sadgirl » 13 Mar 2011, 19:58

So reading up on Miralax, there are some people who say "sipping" doesn't work. I usually sip a glass of Miralax over the course of 1/2 to 1 hr. Never really noticed any issues with that so far.
But just out of curiosity, does anyone find gulping quickly to make it more effective? And along with that, wouldn't you get.....rapid, explosive poops? Image
sadgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Miralax - sipping vs. gulping?

Postby alpinestrawberry » 14 Mar 2011, 06:44

No, I don't think it matters. Miralax isn't a stimulant laxative, it only draws water into the colon to soften the BM's, and in fact it can take a day or two to start working after you drink it.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bambi » 14 Mar 2011, 21:00

I've actually done both as I heat my water before putting the Miralax in (which NG suggested and I found to help reduce gas). Sometimes I heat it more and make a peppermint tea and put it in and sip it. Other times I just warm it up a little and then tend to gulp it down as I am just trying to get the job done and make sure I took it. I have never noticed a difference in the outcome.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby alpinestrawberry » 15 Mar 2011, 06:42

Bambi, I always drink it in a hot beverage too, tea or hot cocoa. It masks the taste and I think it dissolves better.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Mar 2011, 13:32

I don't think it makes a difference either. I mix mine in about 8 ounces of hot (just below boiling) water and then drink it all in 1-2 gulps once it cools down a bit. Only reason I gulp it is because it's more convenient, no other reason. If you sip it that should be fine too.
Personally, from experiencing with all kinds of Miralax dosing, I don't think its effects are as "linear" as one might presume. As long as you take it once per day, it's not that critical how you time the doses or even what the time between doses is. The most important thing IMO is to make sure it dissolves as completely as possible (hence the hot water in my case). That really minimizes or eliminates stomach upset for me although YMMV.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby kristiblue » 11 Aug 2011, 09:50

I mix mine into cool water stir to dissolve and add ice cubes.I dont mind the taste at all. To me its like some of that plastic bottled water out there. I leave it on the counter and basically sip thru out the day.If Im extra thirsty I take bigger swigs. I've always been a big water drinker so its good that this condiotion requires alot of water.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4