An Encouraging Word

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

An Encouraging Word

Postby Bambi » 30 Mar 2011, 10:02

I feel like I'm usually on here when I'm whining about one thing and another and you all are always so good to help with suggestions and support.
So tomorrow is 6 weeks post LIS and skin tag removal for me. I did not have a very good day yesterday, but wanted to offer the encouragement of a nervous wreck who is this many weeks out from surgery.
I have been trying to mess around with my regimen of stool softeners (as I started having very loose stools several times a day). In the process, I of course had a day yesterday that still included that later on, but started with firmer stools that were scary for me to pass and the skin tag area bled a little, which scared the pants off me! So then I was pretty irritated as I had 5 bowel movements over the course of the day. However, with a couple extra soaks and putting A and D ointment and then Calmoseptine ointment on the area last night, this morning it is pretty much like that didn't happen yesterday. In the past when I would have something like that happen, you could pretty much count on the next day hurting more, bleeding more, the whole fissure cycle starting back up. That was not the case this time. I feel like (as my dear late father-in-law would have said) "Something shot at and missed". But very encouraging to my mental state and I wanted to share with you that you should not assume that the same presurgery patterns apply should you have any setbacks following surgery. Particularly several weeks out.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: An Encouraging Word

Postby alpinestrawberry » 30 Mar 2011, 11:22

Don't worry, we understand! Image
I can definitely relate because of my sinus surgery after which I didn't see immediate results. For a long time after the surgery, every time I'd catch a cold the old feeling of being chronically ill would wash over me and I'd be so grouchy and despairing that maybe it didn't work...I was so bitter. I know my husband got sick of that attitude but it was basically impossible for me to stay positive. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago when I caught the flu I was so angry, thinking I was going to get really sick again with lingering illness. But, it didn't happen and now I understand that I am truly healed, from that ailment at least. Things really improved over a long time, say 6-8 months.
I think that's the case with a lot of surgeries. Sometimes you don't even notice that you're getting better, but then you realize you're not thinking about it as much. I can't remember the last time I googled for information on sinus conditions! And hopefully one day soon, we won't bother to google for fissures either.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17