Question about Surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question about Surgery

Postby Deedee62 » 16 Apr 2011, 08:11

At what point do they start talking Botox or surgery? Granted I have only been at this for a few months, but I was wondering....
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Question about Surgery

Postby Elfkin » 16 Apr 2011, 12:05

I think it varies to be honest. I think a fissure is considered chronic after a few months. To a certain extent I think that it is more important to consider if you are ready for surgery. It took me a long time to come to the conclusion that I would push for surgery. Too long with hindsight (which is a wonderful thing!). As long as you are happy to go for it, I wouldn't wait longer than your CRS thinks is necessary. You'll note from these boards that once fissure have been around for a few months more vigorous forms of treatment seem to be required like botox or one of the surgeries.
Elfkin
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby MattMecham » 02 May 2011, 17:25

Deedee,
I had LIS surgery on March 30th. It has been 4 and a half weeks since then, and I feel great. To be honest, I have been feeling awesome for the past four weeks. First bowel movement after the surgery hardly hurt at all, not even close to the pain of before the surgery.
I am so damned happy that I finally had it done. I had been suffering from the fissure for almost three years (off and on), and as Elfkin said, I just want to kick myself for waiting so long to get the LIS done. I realize that there is a small risk, but I was just sick of dealing with the fear, the anxiety, the sleeplessness, the depression, etc.
The surgery was a piece of cake. I didn't even need my narcotics beyond the first day, just a couple of Ibuprofen for the pain. After three or four days, I didn't even need that.
I can't even feel the fissure, haven't felt it since the surgery, and it was HUGE. I am sure it is healing now, and I am no longer afraid of eating and having bowel movements. The LIS surgery literally gave my life back to me. I think people just come to a certain point where they scream, "I have had enough of this garbage! I am ready for it to be gone, gone, gone!" I reached that point, and the pain is now gone, gone, gone!
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Elphie » 02 May 2011, 18:47

It really depends how much you can take, I was aski
g for surgery last July but it took until 4 days ago to get it, here in Canada they make you try EVERYTHING else before surgery is an option. It's only been a year for me but a year is a long time to be in pain all day everyday. It absolutely changed me. Surgery was a breeze compared even to CRS appointments where I had to prep first. Don't suffer longer than you have to, you will know when you've had enough. There are lots of us to help you through if you're scared, we were all scared too. It gets better, it really does!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby alpha » 20 May 2011, 10:03

MattMecham wrote:Deedee,
I had LIS surgery on March 30th. It has been 4 and a half weeks since then, and I feel great. To be honest, I have been feeling awesome for the past four weeks. First bowel movement after the surgery hardly hurt at all, not even close to the pain of before the surgery.
I am so damned happy that I finally had it done. I had been suffering from the fissure for almost three years (off and on), and as Elfkin said, I just want to kick myself for waiting so long to get the LIS done. I realize that there is a small risk, but I was just sick of dealing with the fear, the anxiety, the sleeplessness, the depression, etc.
The surgery was a piece of cake. I didn't even need my narcotics beyond the first day, just a couple of Ibuprofen for the pain. After three or four days, I didn't even need that.
I can't even feel the fissure, haven't felt it since the surgery, and it was HUGE. I am sure it is healing now, and I am no longer afraid of eating and having bowel movements. The LIS surgery literally gave my life back to me. I think people just come to a certain point where they scream, "I have had enough of this garbage! I am ready for it to be gone, gone, gone!" I reached that point, and the pain is now gone, gone, gone!

Did you just have LIS or LIS+fissurectomy? I heard that fissurectomy is the one that gives you real pain.
I am having fissurectomy + LIS with in 2 weeks and dead scared.
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5