Use of ice- post surgery

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Use of ice- post surgery

Postby Bambi » 01 May 2011, 10:01

In talking with Elphie this morning, I remembered some of my CRS's post-op instructions. She seemed to think it helped and didn't know about it, so I thought I'd post this here in case it helps someone else. Here's the notes from his instructions:
"Apply a bag of crushed ice to the anal area for 30 minutes, at least twice during the first operative day. This will help to minimize immediate inflammation. If the cold is soothing, you may continue this treatment in the subsequent days. Do not apply the ice directly to the skin, but rather through the dressings or a hand towel."
He mentioned that a frozen bag of peas worked well. That's what I used as there are not the sharp pokey things like ice cubes or crushed ice. I kept two in the freezer and rotated them. I nestled up on the couch and placed the bag up there and held it in place by leaning against the back of the couch. This did help me and I used it on and off for the first couple of weeks if needed. And I usually just did 20 minutes at a time- didn't want frostbite or anything!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72