6 months post

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 months post

Postby New mum » 09 May 2011, 20:59

Thought i would give an update since not many people stick around (which is a good thing for them :) its been 6 months since my LIS, things are still not 100% maybe 90% somedays i have not pain or anything then others i get discomfort not pain. I sometimes get this weird pressure feeling if i have been running around all day or stand for 2 long mmmm weird anyone else has this??
the other weird thing which i am asking the long time LIS's, straight after the lis i have no incontience problems but the more i get on the more this are slipping out eg gas, or when i need to go i gotta get there fast. its like the spasms are slowing down and the muscle is getting looser. orrrrr i am now getting game and not running to the loo as soon as a feel something i could just be relaxing more. not sure if its all in my head or not.
I still know i have not healed yet fissure is still sometimes a little sore and even the incision sight i think bugs me sometimes i think its maybe the scar tissue.
anyone thanks everyone and i hope someone can give me some ideas on my thoughts, hope all are healing well.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: 6 months post

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 May 2011, 06:48

Hi New Mum - thanks for posting. It is good to hear from the "older" boardies - we appreciate your updates very much.
I'm sorry for my delayed reply. I just had my LIS on Tuesday and I've been recovering (still am!). Since I'm not a long-time LISer, I'm afraid I won't be able to offer very useful insights or advice, but I do recall reading on this forum about how strange sensations and minor pain/discomfort can continue up to a year after surgery. I don't know if that's reassureing or not!
As for the BM urgency ... is that mostly with loose stool, sometimes, all the time? Even before I got my fissure, there were some BMs that just didn't want to wait. I think that's true for everyone. Even those that would wait were sure uncomfortable holding in! I've also heard that it isn't healthy to hold BMs (same with peeing - when you gotta go, you should go). If you are only experiencing urgency occasionally, then I think that's normal. If it's all the time, then maybe you should talk to your doc about it. I wonder if 'bowel training' might be useful - like stimulating a BM at the same time everyday (drinking hot or cold drinks and/or eating) so that your bowels get into the habit of moving at certain times.
The gas issue also sounds familiar. I recall reading that a number of boardies had difficulty controlling wind, but they didn't seem to care much about that, since they weren't in agony anymore.
I really hope that you lingering symptoms resolve very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby New mum » 14 May 2011, 19:55

thanks for the reply and congrats on your Lis hope your are going well! if there is any question u need answering make sure u ask, i know for me the littlist things worried me lol well still do hahaha.
i think your right about the whole urgency of going sometimes with everyone i know my hubby sometimes has to go with a few seconds to spare, so i guess i should stop worrying about that.
I am just over this whole thing and wonder if i will ever be "normal"again if u know what i mean.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 May 2011, 07:33

Thanks so much for your support! I'll definitely be asking questions - just about everything about this ordeal causes so much anxiety! It nice to be able to get advice and help from people who are going or went through this. :D
I understand what you mean about wondering if you'll ever be normal again - I struggle to imagine how I will live after I recover from this ... it'll probably take a long time before I trust my butt again! Part of the urgency I felt with BM was a result of my waiting unti lI absolutely had to go because I couldn't sit on the toilet very long and I didn't want to involuntarily push - also holding it in was painful, so when I had to go, I had to go! I know that in my case, a large part of recovery will be getting past the anxiety issues this whole thing has caused. I'm sure we will be 'normal' again soon, though (well, the butt part, at least!) ... it just might take some time. I really hope you are feeling good these days, with no pain and many happy moments :D
Deleted User 579