Advice

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Advice

Postby NotHappyJan » 18 May 2011, 20:24

Another side effect I get (which wasn't written up in the little info that comes with the ointment) is a racing heart - like over 100 beats/min. I spoke with the pharmacist about this and apparently it is quite common. I also got the headache (it seems everyone does) but taking paracetamol every 4 hours kept this under control and by day 4 the head pain was hardly noticeable.
Hope things improve for you quickly, London.
NotHappyJan
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Londonscalling » 19 May 2011, 16:29

Hey guys once again thanks for the advice! Got this stuff going, good stuff hey, like normally after a BM it can hurt/throb for a while but using this stuff straight after is a life saver. I assume it's pretty normal for someone with our problem to want to just give up during a BM, but keeping going is better, even though it hurts like hell! Any idea how long I will have this BM pain to look forward too? Its still acute at the moment so fingers crossed! A painful BM doesn’t mean it’s not healing yeh! (Desperation showing there!) Going traveling it a few weeks not to mention my uni exams, could do without this rubbish! Really does take over your life doesn’t it!BTW I read somewhere that Nitro-glycerine should only really be used in chronic conditions? I assume thats a load of bull I cant see how it would affect anyone negatively! 50 Euro's for medical rubbish this week, can't help but be angry at everyone esle now when they seem so content eating what they want and not having this on thier mind, lucky gits hey!! Oh well could be worse! Positive thoughts!!
Londonscalling
Fibre Addict

Postby sidra1968 » 19 May 2011, 16:52

Hello and welcome! Glad you found this site, but obviously wish you didn't have to. I like your posts, quite amusing and positive considering the situation.
Yes, having an af makes you very envious of everyone else and it's impossible to have a friend really understand or "get" it. NOT possible.
Question..does it feel like you are passing shards of a broken beer bottle when you go or is it a different pain? THAT to me was the absolute worst! Suicide was looking like an option if the LIS surgery didn't exist! LOL
I did keep my humor and made up songs to the radio with lyrics about af's. Any song with the word "fire" works well..lol
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Londonscalling » 19 May 2011, 17:28

Its a pain that makes me want to cry, like my bum is about to rip, so yeh lets go with the passing broken glass one! Don't know bout u guys but mines on the outer bit not inside, (does that mean its acute??)the ring bit or wateva, outside the body, got a couple, so it doesn’t hurt until its just coming out! The worst bit is before it would take me a few minutes to go to the lou, now I keep have to stop, man myself up, and continue! I enjoy how no1 with an AF gives a sh#t now though, will happily tell the world and his wife about it, shame went when the pain came! I’m not at the stage of the radio yet, I'm at the stage that my housemates are so confused why I'm taking so many baths!ahaaha
Londonscalling
Fibre Addict

Postby sidra1968 » 19 May 2011, 17:47

Yeah that sounds pretty close to what I experienced, but are you SURE it's outside your body? Mine felt like it was inside and then also a bit out, but I just think that is how it may feel along the nerves?!
Yeah, after going through this, the "embarassment" factor is no longer relevant, hell I even have my picture up. All that matters is that the pain is gone and getting your life back. I still send my surgeon yearly pictures of me climbing mountains on vacations (seriously) to show him my gratitude for giving me my lifestyle back and to remind myself how things always get better if you try.
I see you are in the UK. I demanded surgery and got it 4 days later..I know from reading on here that you sufferers overseas may have a harder time "demanding" surgery. If you don't get better or simply cannot take anymore, I suggest seeing a Colorectal Surgeon to set a precedent of what you are experiencing.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Londonscalling » 19 May 2011, 19:09

Yeah I'm pretty sure, well at least they are on the more outer side of the anus than not. Btw I’ve had no blood this time, which I imagine is a good sign?? A year ago I had a bit of blood but it cured pretty quick, and I actually didn’t worry about it much. I think it’s more painful cause there's more than one this time, there's no tactical moving so it doesn’t hit the pain area's or whatever. Surgery isn't really on my mind, I haven’t had it that long (2weeks max, first week it wasn't bad enough to worry about), and only been doing stuff to stop it this week cause of the pain. During the day there's no pain especially with the cream so guess that’s a good sign as well, just looking for good signs at the moment, need positive stuff to get me through! Not in the UK at the moment which is what’s making it all slightly more stressful.
Londonscalling
Fibre Addict

Postby sidra1968 » 20 May 2011, 07:13

Well that is good, sounds like you got on the problem early. Hopefully the creams will work and you can heal up.
I'll be rooting for ya!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 25 May 2011, 22:05

Hello, Mr. London,
I agree with all of the advice that has been given on your thread -- you are talking to professionals!!!! (seriously, I don't think that most doctors have ever had an anal fissure, and therefore do not have first-hand experience of the delightful phenomena). One thing I would add, if the pain is quite bad -- get yourself some kind of heating pad. I found that the best kind are made out of some sort of clay that is encased in a tough plastic bag, which is then plopped into a soft cloth covering. You put the whole thing in the microwave, heat it for the prescribed amount of time, and then sit on it. Oh, it is absolutely wonderful! And it has a dual effect -- it soothes your sore butt almost instantly, plus it increases blood flow to the fissure site which promotes more healing.
Don't get an electric pad, because you can't sit on them without A) creating an atmosphere where serious injury can occur, and B) possibly ruining the pad. So get the clay one. I got mine for less than $15.00 at Walmart, so find the England equivalent of a Walmart, buy the pad, and have it all heated up and ready right before you have your bowel movement. It stays nice and hot for up to an hour after heating it.
Good luck, my friend. We're thinking of you.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sidra1968 » 26 May 2011, 15:38

Hey Matt, how have you been doing?
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 26 May 2011, 17:27

sidra1968 wrote:Hey Matt, how have you been doing?

Thanks for asking, Sidra. I'm feeling as right as rain. Not even a smidgen of pain from the fissure ever since my surgery on March 30. I can understand a lot of the fear and hesitation about surgery that some people feel on this thread, because I had that same fear for over two years. I lived with agonizing fissure pain for that long because I was scared of LIS -- now that I've had it done, I feel like damn fool for waiting as long as I did. I endorse LIS 110%.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3