Recovering from Fissurectomy and LIS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Recovering from Fissurectomy and LIS

Postby Jtb216 » 02 Jun 2011, 06:53

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well on your roads to recovery. I just wanted to provide an update with how I'm doing.
Miraculously, I'm on my way to feeling like a new man again. I think the surgical site must be healing well, because I'm now eating basically what I want, and even when a stool seems hard at first, I do not go through splitting pain during or even after a bowel movement. I forgot how it felt to just "go" to the bathroom without freaking out about it. The past two days I think I've been a little dehydrated because my stools have been on the harder side the past two mornings, and have a small amount of blood in the toilet and when I wipe (gently!). I'm not too concerned, b/c it diminishes greatly after a shower and just a little time. Also (barring the last two days with red spotting), my drainage has dramatically reduced and now it just usually a little clear to dark, but generally no more blood. Anyone else have some bleeding after a bowel movement, but no pain that would signify damage?
I have my followup with the CRS this coming Tuesday, which is three weeks out from the day of my surgery. I hope he is pleased with the progress, I know I am. I am a little hesitant that he will "violate" me like he has before with all his tools and scopes, but maybe he won't have to be too invasive (wishful thinking!)...
I really believe mineral oil played a huge roll over the past week in making sure things were smooth, and just came right out. You have to find the right balance on dosage (about 2Tbs, sometimes 3 for me), because there were a few days I had a bowel movement and would have to go again within 10 minutes to an hour. Not a lot of pain or anything, but prob not the best thing for a healing wound.
Overall, at this point, I have to say I'm very happy I was adamant about having the surgery now, rather than waiting until after the bar (I couldn't imagine taking 3 days of intense exams from 9-4 with the fissure still stabbing me at every moment and every turn!). Additionally, I've been able to attend my live lectures this week which last for 3-4 hours a day, all while sitting in a normal hard chair, with out any type of cushion for my bottom!
To anyone else out there struggling, it is important to weigh the risks/benefits and take into account the various recovery times, but based off my experience, if you are dealing with an anal fissure, get the surgery. I can't speak to an LIS by itself, since I had an LIS and Fissurectomy (among other things...), but you should discuss all this with your CRS. I hope you all find relief very soon, and know this, like most everything else, WILL pass!
Jtb216
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Jun 2011, 08:31

Jtb, it's so great to hear that you are doing so well! It sounds like you are making great progress. I'm two days past three weeks post-LIS and just yesterday, for the first time in 6 days, there was a blood streak on the stool :( ... But, that may have come from the skin tag excision. The fissure site is still tender and gets a wee bit swollen every now and then and there's still a bit of stinging pain. I had my follow-up a few days ago and the surgeon said I'm healing well. So it looks like some stinging and blood are not uncommon while we are healing. I'm thinking that blood without the tearing pain at this point in the healing phase just means that the healing is incomplete, not that any damage was done. At least that's how it feels to me. :)
I think your follow-up will go well. Remember that there isn't anything your doc is going to stick up there that is larger than a BM. I know it's difficult, but try to relax while the poking and prodding is going on - now that your fissure is healing, that won't hurt as much.
I'm so glad that you are feeling like a new man! Image
It is just great that you can concentrate on your studies without being in constant pain. I'm so happy for you!
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 02 Jun 2011, 08:45

I'm so happy you're feeling better! Don't worry about your follow up, most docs just have a quick look see to make sure incision is healing and there's no infection or complications. It was a bit uncomfortable, but nothing like fissure pain! Enjoy your new freedom and don't overdo it, remember, you just got that thing fixed!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby rockpine » 05 Jun 2011, 15:33

Good to hear that your recovery is going well and sounds like you're healing quickly, JTB. Wow, it took me a good five weeks before I didn't need the butt cushion for work or the car.
I'm about six weeks post-op and I just had a little bit of blood on the tp today too. Had a big BM the day before. There is a very mild bit of pain with it, but not like fissure pain when having a BM. I'm hoping I didn't re-tear since I think I have been more dehydrated as well. Drinking lots of water and keeping the fiber high will remain on my list of priorities for awhile. Recovery isn't instantaneous and carefree but I too am feeling way better -- almost "pre-fissure" again.
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby sidra1968 » 05 Jun 2011, 17:53

Great to hear JTB! And for the record, I did NOT let the CRS put anything up there on my follow-up. I went with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type thinking with that. I just let him check out the incision (which was infected anyways).
I'm so happy for you!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Jtb216 » 01 Jul 2011, 12:18

Hello everyone, its been almost a month since I last wrote and just wanted to update the board on my progress. First off, I have my second follow-up scheduled for next week. My first follow-up went well and he said he was happy with my progress.
At this point I am feeling pain free and normal bowel movements, where even hard stools don't hurt to pass (which I am more thankful for that than almost anything else!). My only one concern is that I still notice a little blood on the TP after a bowel movement, but not enough to see in the toilet itself. Doc had me using some analpram after my last follow up, to help with the drainage which I do not notice anymore.
So my question is, after 7 weeks post-op for LIS, Fissurectomy, and 4 hem ligations, should I still be spotting blood when I wipe, and if so what is the probable cause (sorry to bring in my legalese :)) of the bleeding? If I were to guess, I would say it feels more likely coming from the skin tag site than actually inside the rectum.
Thanks for any input, and I hope everyone is on their way to a successful recovery!
Jtb216
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 12:57

That area is so delicate after surgery, it's probably the hard BMs thats causing it. Just because they don't hurt doesn't mean they won't do any damage! Don't become too complacent, this beast can rear it's ugly head again in an instant. Some stool softeners might be helpful!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86