Scope Question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Scope Question

Postby Deedee62 » 29 May 2011, 09:42

Besides the obvious, what else can the doctor tell from doing a colonoscopy? Can he diagnose IBS?
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Scope Question

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 11:09

Hi deedee! No, a scope cannot detect IBS. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so docs will usually only give you that diagnosis after everything else has been excluded - like IBD (crohns and ulcerative colitis), food allergies and intolerances, celiac disease, etc. IBS is a functional disorder, which basically means that the digestive systems is discombobulated and not functioning properly (moving things too slowly or too quickly), and that doesn't show up in a scope. A scope will detect polyps and ulcerations from crohns and colitis - the doc might take a biopsy if any tissue looks suspicious (sometimes they just take biopsies anyway). Are you getting scoped? Do you know what they are looking for? I hope this helps!
Last edited by Deleted User 579 on 02 Jun 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 579

Postby Deedee62 » 29 May 2011, 19:23

Hi!! Yes - my colonoscopy is scheduled for Wednesday. I have an extensive history of colon cancer in my family -my parents (my Dad also had esphageal cancer) and my 2 uncles on my mother's side. I had my first scope when I was 37 and it was clear. In January I started having problems and became constipated for the 1st time in my life. I got a fissure and that just recently healed with the use of Nifedipine ointment. The doctor (my mother's colo-rectal surgeon) became concerned because I am exhausted all the time and have had some bleeding here & there and dull ache in my left side. I have had some bouts of nausea (don't know where that was coming from). I have been suspicious that I have IBS but only time will tell. Just hoping & praying for a clean scope.
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 20:42

Hey DeeDee - wow, I'm so sorry that your family has struggled with cancer! I can certainly understand your concern. I actually think a lot of people have symptoms of IBS, but it is very difficult to diagnose. I got scoped in feb because I was having symptoms of IBD/IBS. Thankfully, everything was clear, so my GP said I probably have IBS. Interestingly, my symptoms have pretty much disappeared since my LIS. I'm probably not completely in the clear yet, because IBS can flare, but my whole system feels so much better.
I'm so glad your fissure healed! I really hope your scope goes well and that everything is clear!
Deleted User 579

Postby Deedee62 » 30 May 2011, 08:51

Thank you! The first time I had my scope, I wasn't nervous - I wasn't having any issues. This time I am having scope-xiety....
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 30 May 2011, 10:11

hi deedee,
the good thing is that you've been through this already.
i also had my first colonoscopy at 37!!! all clear too.
i will keep positive thoughts that you will be fine on your next scope. will u have it with the same doctor?
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deedee62 » 30 May 2011, 13:39

Unfortunately, no. The doctor who did it the first time was also my mother's doctor and he retired. But he highly recommended the one I am seeing now.
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 01 Jun 2011, 10:56

Hi Dena! Please do come back with how it all went. Sorry I missed saying good luck with the scope. I am terrified of having one, but I am going to write a post about that! Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222