Good info. on fissures,surgery,leakage,incontinence

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Re: Good info. on fissures,surgery,leakage,incontinence

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Jun 2011, 23:38

This part is pretty interesting to me:
In a large series of patients followed for a mean of five years after surgery, 6% were incontinent of gas, 8% had minor soiling, and 1% experienced loss of stool.
It's too bad they don't state what the rates were at each time interval. We know what they found at 5 years, but what about at years 1, 2, 3, and 4... The intuitive assumption would be that incontinence rates (which we can probably assume are a close enough proxy for leakage) were higher initially and tapered down with time. If that's the case, then it may just be that we need to wait a few more years for the anal hull breach to fully correct itself following surgery.
When I get a few free moments I'm going to see if I can dig up some more detailed info regarding the clinical studies on the matter. I just know the details are out there somewhere, hopefully they were published somewhere at some point. Good find!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2011, 00:41

That's was very interesting to me too, NG. I agree, what about years 1,2,3& 4?! I'm wondering the same thing about it correcting itself or could it be possible that were in the 8% Image
I hope you can find some more info!

Postby Savaici » 18 Jun 2011, 07:37

I haven't found anything on the net on LIS for the 50somethings, and can't subscribe to uptodate.com, so really would appreciate if you would have a look out for statistics on that, NG. Or anything on that. Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 19 Jun 2011, 07:28

Good sites, Dawn!!
This is what I read from your first link:
The goal of treatment for anal fissures is to break the cycle of spasm of the anal sphincter and its repeated tearing of the anoderm.
General treatment. In acute fissures, medical (nonoperative) therapy is successful in the majority of patients. Of acute fissures, 80-90% will heal with conservative measures as compared with chronic (recurrent) fissures, which show only a 40% rate of healing. Initial treatment involves adding bulk to the stool and softening the stool with psyllium or methylcellulose preparations and a high fiber diet. Additionally, patients are advised to avoid "sharp" foods that may not be well-digested (i.e., nuts, popcorn, tortilla chips), increase their liquid intake, and, at times, take stool softeners (docusate or mineral oil preparations). Sitz baths (essentially soaking in a tub of warm water) are encouraged, particularly after bowel movements, to relax the spasm, to increase the flow of blood to the anus, and to clean the anus without rubbing the irritated anoderm.
As stated in the article, many people heal with conservative measures!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 19 Jun 2011, 12:17

Thank you Cheryl,
I have no doubt conservative methods work!! It took me months to get a proper diagnosis. I wish all doctors were more informed about fissures. I believe if I would have known how to take care of myself earlier, then I would have stood a chance with the conservative treatments, and possibly healed.
My daughter had some butt issues awhile back and I put her on the fissure diet, baths,stool softener, ointment right away for 2 weeks and now she continues with the high fiber and water and has had no problems since. Still not sure if she had a fissure?! I just wish my primary care doctor/the ER/ first CRS would have been more informed about, or in the CRS's case diagnosed me with my fissure before it was chronic, and I would have been told~ what I told my daughter to do.
The acute period with the fissure and proper treatment seems to be very crucial in healing in my opinion.