Milk of Magnesia is helping...Updated

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Milk of Magnesia is helping...Updated

Postby sanantoniotex » 24 Jun 2011, 20:56

Please see my updated post (July 2, 2012)
After a month of hell, my Doctor finally told me about milk of magnesia. I told him i needed liquid stool. It's over the counter and my Doctor said it's ok to take for extended periods. I take between 1.5 and 2.5 tablespoons every night along with 200 mg sodium docusate and lots of water. My doctor said he's doesn't want me to have explosive diarrhea so I don't take the full 2 tablespoons dose. After 3 days, the constant pain of every moment of every day started to dissipate. It's almost two weeks and I'm basically pain free. 0 pain during bowel movements and I have non-explosive diarrhea. The only problem is I'm supposed to drink 8 glasses of water a day and this makes me need to urinate almost every hour. Plus, I end up with about three painless bowel movements a day. I'm supposed to avoid having too many. I also end up eating more cause I'm afraid to lose the nutrients in food. I try to eat a large meal several hours before taking the milk of magnesia. My fissure is about 2-3 mm wide and extends from the outside to the top of the sphincter. Talk to your doctor first, but I just wanted to let people know. I think I saw a few more posts about it on the site. Good luck .
Last edited by sanantoniotex on 02 Jul 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: see update
sanantoniotex

Topics: 1

Re: Milk of Magnesia is helping...Updated

Postby sanantoniotex » 24 Jun 2011, 20:59

I meant the full 4 tablespoon dose.
sanantoniotex

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2011, 21:21

Hi Sanantoniotex,
I have read of many people in here using the milk of magnesia(mom) and having good results.
Many of us take miralax , docusate sodium and such to keep the bm's fissure friendly.
It's good that you have found something that is working for you and your Dr. says it's safe.
Good Luck healing and thanks for sharing.

Postby Joseph » 25 Jun 2011, 07:28

Thanks for the tip - I'll bring it up on my next doctor's visit. Image
Joseph
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 680 » 25 Jun 2011, 09:29

I take two tablespoons of milk of magnesia right before bed also, it works great to keep thongs soft in the morning
Deleted User 680

Postby sanantoniotex » 02 Jul 2012, 15:51

Update on my Milk of Magnesia post:
Today's Monday afternoon and I had surgery for the fissure on Friday Morning. I'm feeling pretty good right now with minor itching back there. I stopped taking prescribed pain meds saturday afternoon and I took an ibuprofen saturday night.
For the last year I've managed the fissure with 200 mg docusate sodium and about 1 teaspoon of milk of magnesia every night. Every time I tried going off the meds, blood came back and it was painful. My famiy practice doctor looked about a month ago and said the fissure was gone but I now had unrelated hemorrhoids. He referred me to the anal/rectal surgeon.
The surgeon looked and said the fissure is still there and it's causing the hemorrhoids. The fissure was "acute and chronic" and he said it would never go away on its own. He said something about it causing spasms in a muscle and cutting off blood to my veins thus causing the hemorrhoids.
I went in for surgery at 11:40 and woke up at 1:20 or so. The actual surgery started at 12:10 and ended at 12:15 (I asked the nurse to read off the time after I woke up). The surgeon only made 2 small cuts into the muscle.
After surgery, my pain back there was much less than I had anticipiated. And, my pain at my first bowel movement was minor. I'm having a little problem with holding in gas but the doctor said it will go away.
The surgeon had me take 4 table spoons Milk of Magnesia on Saturday and Sunday. He said to stop the MOM and the docusate sodium and he put me on a high fiber diet. I asked him if I had done damage to my intestines or kidneys from taking the meds for a year. He said that it would take about 20 years of abuse to notice a difference.
sanantoniotex