Some questions from downunder

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Some questions from downunder

Postby soredownunder » 05 Jul 2011, 00:33

Hello from a new AF forumite downunder in Australia-I'm guessing there might be a few fellow members down here. I found I had AFs about 4 months ago and I'm sure I'll have more Qs as I progress down this unwelcome road. Have seen a local CRS and am presently about 2 months after botox and taking a small dose of valium and playing wait & see. So far it doesn't seem to help the pain except drop it from really really bad to varying between really bad and just bad.
I have a couple of preliminary issues that others might comment on.
First has anyone checked out acupuncture for the spasims. Has been suggested by a pharmacist friend as a possibility if we are ready to try anything
Also I have an artificial heart valve which keeps me on the bloodthinner warfarin which always complicates usage of other drugs (especially painkillers) and surgery. Anyone been dealing with their AF in the same situation?
Finding this site is really comforting-- I'm not alone and you all sound really personally supportive to each other at a time when its really needed
Paul
soredownunder
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Some questions from downunder

Postby val » 05 Jul 2011, 01:20

Hi there - I like your username, very funny!
Welcome to the forum, you're certainly not on your own now!
Sorry you're having a rough time. I suppose you wouldn't be able to use rectogesic or diltiazem then as they lower blood pressure?
Sometimes the botox works after two or three times, so dont give up hope just because it hasn't worked this time. If it's given you some relief that's a step in the right direction.
I'm sure someone will come along soon who has more knowledge of botox, and situations like yours.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby cherylk » 05 Jul 2011, 15:01

Paul,
I like your username also. In fact the founder of this board, Cheryl, is from OZ, I believe. How are things in Australia? I wanted to say welcome.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Daisy1026 » 05 Jul 2011, 20:01

Hey Paul,
I am from Oz also nice to see a fellow Aussie on board!
I am now 5 days post my 3rd round of Botox... The first two times gave me little relief but it helped make the pain manageable.. It always took about 2 weeks to kick in but I see your 2 months post that is when it started wearing off for me so I needed more.. 3rd time round and the pain is almost completely disappeared so hopeful it will get it this time!
Hopefully you are on your way to healing and the pain is diminishing :D
Daisy1026
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby soredownunder » 06 Jul 2011, 22:56

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Good to see there are some of us in Oz Daisy. I guess there are others out there. AFs are international little PIAs and I wonder if there are any stats on if they are more common or uncommon in different parts of the world. I'd sure not like to have one in one of the poorer countries where there are few medical facilities- in fact I'd like to not have one at all. Funny that.
Hope your 3rd botox round finishes things for you.
soredownunder
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dexterdude » 08 Jul 2011, 12:39

I'm also almost 3 weeks post-botox. It's a bit better than before, but definitely not healed yet. You can watch my thread for more updates.
My doc DID tell me if it doesn't work we might try another round.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here