Should I get a second opinion?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Should I get a second opinion?

Postby seattlesounders » 15 Jul 2011, 16:59

Folks would love your advice on whether I should get a second opinion or whether my situation sounds normal.
Background: I had LIS, a fissurectomy and a thrombosed hemerroid removed on June 15th 2011. I should add that I'm a 36 year old male in good health. At week 2 I had what the doctor suspects was a rip.
Issues: When I pass a soft stool it will still hurt for about a minute. At which point I use my BD which takes away the pain. The area is then sore (I can sit on it but when I get up it aches especially). Worse still sometimes if I have 2 poops in a day especially at night, then it is sore, and I often have to lie only on my right side (fissure was on the left). Sleeping on the other side or on my back usually hurts. Walking is also unpredictable. On a good day I can walk with a slight hobble but on a bad day I need to walk up stairs side on to avoid using my sphincter muscles.
Checkin: I went for a 3 week check up with my doctor and he said that he was 95% sure I did not have an infection, it was mentally too tough and sensitive for me to have an internal examination. None the less the on call doc prescribed Metronizadole for Anaerobic bacteria and yeast.
Questions: I am scared to have another doc check it out. So I'd rather avoid the mental and physical pain of an inspection, unless I really have to. My questions give what I've described above, would you seek a second opinion or wait for another appointment in mid August (2 months from initial examination)?
Thanks
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Should I get a second opinion?

Postby Guest » 15 Jul 2011, 22:19

Hey there Seattle,
I would never tell anyone not to get a second opinion if you feel you need one. I just wouldn't want to encourage that, and you end up having an infection Image I would feel awful, but here are my thoughts... You have had a lot of work done! I have noticed that fissurectomy patients seem to have rougher, sorer recoveries than LIS alone, and then you had the hem removed too.
If you had a rip at two weeks from a hard stool then you still have to wait on your fissure to heal which takes 6 weeks with perfect poops and babying the butt. I would imagine you have a lot of swelling down there if only on the inside.
I wouldn't say your recovery is all that slow considering what you had done, but like I said I'm not a doctor...Lol
Is your pain better than when you got your surgery. Have you progressed at all? I guess you already know this but definitely keep and eye on any pus, fever, lump, etc.
Hopefully others will chime who have had infection and share...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion