Internal Hemorrhoid pain or fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Internal Hemorrhoid pain or fissure?

Postby Layla85 » 17 Jul 2011, 07:31

Hi guys, hope you're all having a good weekend.
I mentioned this in another post and wondered if anyone could help me out on this.
I've had a fissure since November that seems to be in a pattern of healing and tearing depending on whether I use Rectogesic and Movicol (when I stop it gets v painful again). I finally got an appointment at the hospital last week and when they put a camera up there they said they could see internal hemorrhoids but no fissure. I have a skin tag on the outside of my anus where the fissure "used" to be and presumed it was still there as I had been in a lot of pain the week before when I'd cut down on Movicol. My doctor had also seen it a week prior to this but said it was healing.
I've been left feeling really frustrated by this. I waited so long to get that appointment and was basically told there wasn't actually anything there but I should just keep up the rectogesic and movicol none the less if it made me feel better (despite the fact that I've taken them for months and don't feel comfortable taking such strong meds on the long term). I intend to go back to my doctors to ask for a second opinion but don't want to if I am maybe mistaking hemorrhoid pain for fissure pain.
Has anyone had internal hemmies and do they cause a similar sort of pain to a fissure? My pain (which is kept under control with the medication I take) is intense and glass-like during a BM and for about five to ten minutes afterwards minutes afterwards. It wears off to a sort of scratchy, itchy feeling then generally goes, so long as I take rectogesic and movicol. Would those meds help piles too or was the doctor wrong to tell me to continue with them?
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: Internal Hemorrhoid pain or fissure?

Postby Guest » 17 Jul 2011, 08:56

Hey Layla,
My fissure was the shards of glass, tearing feeling and sometimes just burnt. I don't think internal hem's are going to feel like that.
I would definitely get a second opinion with a CRS. I went to the hospital twice and GP twice and they both never saw a fissure.
I don't think rectogesic would do any harm to internal hems.

Postby Trifox » 18 Jul 2011, 16:56

I sort of feel like you. I want a second opinion. I have had a fissure since febuary and it keeps re opening or getting new ones?? Does your pain seem to feel like it farther inside your rectum? Mine seems farther up inside. Where as the fissure seems more around the edge or ring of the anus. My DR did a peek saw another fissure and said here is some more cream and blew me off. I was wondering if I have internal hemmhorids too. The fissure pain feels like glass and the hemhoriod feels like tortilla chips!:)
What did your DR do for the so called hemorhoids?
Trifox
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Layla85 » 18 Jul 2011, 17:20

Haha! I just wrote a reply to your post Trifox. Kindred spirits indeed :)
My pain is further inside so I think the hemmies are there. The doc could see them but I think the fissure is still there too, on and off. I have good and bad weeks with it but none of it feels "normal" and being young and otherwise healthy I don't feel its brilliant. I get that glass like pain too that tbh the rectogesic doesn't take away. I've kinda identified the hemmie pain as different in the sense it feels deeper and more itchy. Its definitely not the same feeling as the one I get during and after a BM. I was told to come back in October (!) and they would band them then. Thanks guys! In the meantime they told me to keep using the medication I had been prescribed for my fissure, even though they said there was no fissure there.
Needless to say I think a second opinion is the next step...
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18