LIS + fistulotomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS + fistulotomy

Postby k_fissure » 19 Jul 2011, 14:35

Hi guys,
I've been reading stuff on this Board for a while but never registered. Finally registered today and thought I'd share my experience.
I had a fissure for about 7 months which turned chronic, presence of skin tag and pus had started for quite a few months. At first the fissure which was acute healed but one day it opened again and the pain was mad. After that the fissure itself stopped paining but I would get pain from the skin tag always most of the time and then the pus started as well. I forgot to mention I tried all medication (stool softeners, antibiotics for the infection, GTN ointment and Homeopathy for 3 MONTHS but nothing cured me FULLY) Finally when i came back home from University (I stay in India and study in the UK) I showed a surgeon. He said you need surgery. I wasn't very confident about this guy and decided I'd take another opinion from another CRS. As soon as this guy checked me he told me you might have a fistula and you do need surgery. He reassured me in a way and I thought I would go in for surgery as I didn't wanna go back to University with a fissure as its annoying without family and home in pain.
So I had my surgery 5 days back. It was LIS + fistulotomy. The first 2 days were painful I must admit. Passing stools and everything was just sore and painful. Then everyday has been better. I do experience pain IMMEDIATELY after BM but its not of very hight intensity. Sitz bath is VERY relieving and the anaesthetic gel is also helpful. The discharge has reduced and its yellow now rather than red which the doctor had said would happen. I did go for a checkup yesterday and he said things look good and I should go see him in the next 10 days. At the moment I'm applying an ointment after every BM and putting a gauze. This ointment I believe it to prevent infection. I stopped pain killers after 3 days as they are not really required. The pain after a BM last about half an hour.
Everybody heals differently and I dont want to be impatient and think why hasn't my pain gone. From reading most people's experiences I believe there is pain for about a week or two after which things start looking good.
Anybody going in for similar surgery like me feel free to ask me stuff as I JUST had it 5 days back.
k_fissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS + fistulotomy

Postby seattlesounders » 19 Jul 2011, 23:47

Well done for getting it addressed. Did the doc tell you how long he expected recovery to last?
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby k_fissure » 20 Jul 2011, 00:49

Hey,
I didn't really ask him but I asked his assistant who said you will be PERFECTLY NORMAL in 1 month. So im guessing 3 weeks to a month is the time usually required. Lets see how it goes I will keep updating this thread.
k_fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby k_fissure » 25 Jul 2011, 12:50

Hello friends,
It has now been 12 days since I had my surgery. I have a very FAINT pain after my stools which goes after the sitz bath. There is a yellow discharge on the gauze everyday but no RED which is good I believe. The pain is ONLY after passing stools and not at any other time. I can do all activities properly from sitting to walking to anything. I will start going to the gym from next week onwards. I do feel itchy ocassionally and I think a person who didn't have a surgery would also experience this so shouldn't really give it a thought.
For all those people thinking about surgery just remember the first 3 days are A BIT delicate after that it just keeps getting better and better. Also in all this I felt that YOU should be confident and comfortable with your CRS. That just brings in so much positivity. My surgeon is a very friendly man who knew what he was doing exactly which made me confident as well.
k_fissure
Fibre Addict

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here