Two Botox injections and told that I need Advancement Flap

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Two Botox injections and told that I need Advancement Flap

Postby GirlinPain » 22 Jul 2011, 16:20

Hi
This is my first post after reading here for months. I have two chronic anal fissures that first developed Sept 2010, due to constipation caused by chemo drugs I was on. It didn't get diagnosed for aaages- thought it was hemerhoids and tried sticking things up there (oops and ouch).
Finally got referred to a colo doctor who said that Botox would help. Pain was so bad that I was taking days off work and lying in bed in agony- slow burning with recurrent spasms. Creams didnt help- headaches and no soothing, maybe cos I didnt get them till it was chronic.
First Botox surgery - March 2011- was amazing- it was botox and excision so a little sore after, but 3 days on nothing, no pain and only minimal bleeding. A month later I had back surgery and then the pain started to come back. 2nd July 2011 I had Botox number 2, and this time it worked for a week and now pain back and sharp and awful.
Asked doc what to do, and have been told that Advancement flaps are the way to go. Quite nervous about the recovery process, the pain, and whether I'll have a Frankenass. Also nervous about people- no one knows about this issue as I dont like to talk about 'arse stuff'. Was picked up from both surgeries by dad, but after all the chemo from last year have told him was just a 'minor op dealing with residual chemo side effects (true) and cant face actually telling people about this- I go red in dumb and dumber. Hate being in pain and so stressed. Can anyone reassure me that flaps are a good idea- and what it will look like afterwards?
Thanks!
GirlinPain

Topics: 1

Re: Two Botox injections and told that I need Advancement Flap

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2011, 16:59

Hey Girlinpain,
Welcome to the board! I don't really know much about the procedure. There's a few post in here where other boardies posted their experience. I think CallMeCrazy, Kerrbear and I believe Elfkin had the anal advancement flap procedure.
It seems to be a little more complicated than LIS from my understanding and can be a little rougher recovery. I am not sure if you will have a frankenbutt afterwards but I know surgery can cause trauma and things can look pretty rough until the healing takes place.
Here's my opinion on this and it's just me so take it with a grain of salt,Lol... If it were my butt and this procedure was what was offered and ahead of me, I would definitely get a second opinion to be sure that this was what needed to be done. Our butts are delicate and things obviously don't heal like every other part of our body. I would make sure that this is what's necessary for you to heal and get life back to normal. We can't undo the damage if we make a mistake with our bodies. Doctors are just like anyone else. Some better than others... I know there are many cases where it is necessary and people do heal fine:)
Hopefully others will add:)