Yellow/green leakage

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Yellow/green leakage

Postby longordeal » 25 Jul 2011, 09:36

Hello all,
So I have been dealing with an anal fissure for about a year now. It has been a very long ordeal. I had an LIS with fissurectomy about 4 months ago. Unfortunately, it did not get rid of the fissure, and in addition to this led to a slight "keyhole deformity" (my doctor does not want to officially call it that yet, but that is essentially what it is) because the fissurectomy hole never healed properly. Right now the fissure is worse than it ever was before the surgery, but it has been healing some since Botox.
Here's my current issue: for about 2 months now I have been having some leakage. There is a general wetness back there, which I know is from the fissure, but I also have leakage of a yellowish/green mucous-like substance. I am wearing cotton gauze back there to catch it, and it is a continual issue. In all there is maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp per day (I dont really know how to estimate something like that). My question is, has anyone had a similar leakage because of a fissure alone? Has anyone had this mucous-like leakage?
I ask because if that is common for a fissure I can have some hope that it will stop once it heals. If it is not common for a fissure, then it very much worries me that this is more an anatomical problem that will not be solved when the fissure heals. As a active 27yo, you can imagine that this leakage is quite a downer in my life, to say the least.
This is the first time posting and I'm very much looking forward to hearing from people who have had a similar problem. Thanks!!
longordeal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Yellow/green leakage

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2011, 09:55

Hi there,
Just wanted to say welcome!:)
I had LIS and my fissure cauterized last year, so I really can't comment on the post-op with a fissurectomy.
Green/ yellow leakage does sound like pus though ,in my opinion. I think it would be a good idea to have a CRS check that out just incase.
I'm sorry to hear that you're not healing well. Fissurectomies Image ! I don't understand why this procedure is still being done. I asked my CRS before my LIS if I would need one because I had read so many horrible experiences. She told me they were old, made no sense to cut out a cut to heal it. She cauterized my fissure during my LIS- which smooths the edges and allowed it to heal.
I'm sure people do heal from the fissurectomy procedure but I almost want to scream when I hear someone is scheduled for it!!
I know it can be a lengthy, rougher recovery. :roll:
Hopefully others will chime in who have experience with the procedure.

Postby longordeal » 25 Jul 2011, 10:01

Hi Dawn,
thanks for responding. It is not pus, I recently visited my CRS last week, and the fissure seems to be healing slowly but surely he said. The doctor, however, is quite vague when it comes to explaining what is going on.
At the risk of being disgusting, it is more watery than pus, more like watery snot with a yellowish tinge. (Hope that wasn't too much information!!!) I'm interested in knowing if this can be a symptom of just a large fissure alone.
longordeal
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2011, 11:05

At the risk of being disgusting, it is more watery than pus, more like watery snot with a yellowish tinge. (Hope that wasn't too much information!!!) I'm interested in knowing if this can be a symptom of just a large fissure alone

Lol! I don't think there's such a thing as TMI on here. Hopefully others will be able to help. I think there's a few folks who had a fissurectomy recently on here. Glad to hear your healing though. I know it takes a lot of time and patience Image

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2011, 14:16

Longordeal,
you may find this post interesting. Seems to be having similar issues with the leakage.
http://anal-fissure.org/t3220-need-some-healing-vibes-and-prayers-for-wednesday#60572

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Jul 2011, 14:44

Hi Longordeal! Welcome, and I'm sorry you have to be here! I don't have any experience with the kind of discharge you describe (Dawn's right, there is really no such thing as TMI here!). I did have watery clear discharge after my LIS. When I developed an abscess, the pus was pretty unmistakable because it was thick liquid. Wounds do produce healthy exudate, which is often similar to pus, but more watery. An infection is usually indicated if the exudate gets thicker and milky.
As Dawn said, people seem to take longer to heal from fissurectomies, so you are likely to still need more time to heal even after 4 months. As long as your doc says you are healing, slowly but surely, then I think you are on the road to recovery. Taking warm baths might help with the healing and keeping everything clean. Just don't forget to dry the butt off very well (some folks use a hair dryer set to 'cool'). Apparently, keeping everything clean and dry is the best way to heal.
Deleted User 579

Postby longordeal » 26 Jul 2011, 09:55

Hello guys,
thanks for the advice and support. It is most definitely not an infection. I just worry that it may be something that is coming from inside the colon and leaking out through the keyhole deformity rather than something coming from the wound itself. Does anybody have an experience with mucus incontinence and what this is like???
I do hope this is just something natural in the process of healing.
Thanks for all your support.
longordeal
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jul 2011, 14:19

Hi Longordeal! I don't recall reading anything on this forum about incontinence to mucus, but I'll keep my eyes open while I am browsing and if I find anything, I'll let you know.
Do you have any abdominal pain/cramping/indigestion? I went through a period of serious digestive upset for a few months while my fissure was bad and would sometimes pass just mucus when I tried to have a BM. My doc sent me for a colonoscopy to investigate. It turned out that my colon is quite healthy, and the mucus stopped on it's own once my digestive system settled down. Discharge is quite common with wound healing, but I think that if you are worried that the mucus is coming from the colon, then a colonoscopy makes sense. I think this is something worth discussing with your doctor.
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 27 Jul 2011, 23:36

Hey, I have the same :). I've had a fissurectomy + botox about a month ago and I have the same discharge. I was more yellow, watery and mixed with some reddish blood immediately after the surgery, now it's yellow/greenish (but more on the yellow side) and much thicker. Haven't seen the CRS yet for a follow up (i will in 2 weeks), but as far as I read it's normal wound exudate. And since I still have pain inside (although outside the wound looks pretty good), I think that's where it's coming from.
As for fissurectomies and why they're done, I agree that normally maybe the LIS is better. In my case though, I had the fissure for almost 10 years (if you can believe that), so there was a LOT of scar tissue built up inside. The fissurectomy was the only way of giving it a "fresh start" and a chance to heal. Of course, it's not healed yet and maybe I will end up having the LIS after all, but at least that scar tissue is gone and it now has a better chance of healing.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby dexterdude » 27 Jul 2011, 23:36

oops double post
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist