propofol?? sigmoidoscopy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

propofol?? sigmoidoscopy

Postby koolkat330 » 06 Aug 2011, 12:03

hi everyone :)
i have been struggling with anal fissures and hemorrhoids for the past year. i've tried every non-surgical thing, and the only thing that seems to provide temporary relief is using miralax. ive seen so many doctors that just look and say "oh i see a fissure/hemorrhoid". well great.. then it improves for a week or so, then re-forms again.
i'm finally going to get a flexible sigmoidoscopy soon.. which is totally freaking me out! i am deathly afraid of nausea/vomiting. i heard that gen anesthesia commonly makes people sick like that. but i am going under using propofol (via IV) for this procedure.
has anyone ever "been under" using propofol? what did it feel like? or any flex sigmoidoscopy experiences? ease my nerves please!
koolkat330

Topics: 3

Re: propofol?? sigmoidoscopy

Postby Deleted User 579 » 07 Aug 2011, 12:38

hi KoolKat - I'm really sorry you are suffering. And I'm sorry but I haven't had a sigmoidoscopy, so I can't answer your questions. I have had a colonoscopy, but I don't know if I was put under with propofol. I can say that I didn't feel nausated or sick afterward, but I've heard of people using gravol to deal with those side effects. Maybe you can ask your doc if that's an option for you. Don't worry too much - my colonoscopy was no problem at all. The prep wasn't fun - mostly because the stuff I had to drink to make me poop was really awful tasting. The pooping itself wasn't so bad at all. I since learned a trick that makes it easier to drink the awful laxative concoction: make it VERY cold. If you put it on ice, it doesn't taste nearly as bad. Try not to freak out. These tests are not usually as bad as we think they are going to be! :D
Deleted User 579

Re: propofol?? sigmoidoscopy

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Aug 2011, 06:08

I had a sigmoidoscopy last week, but on my bill it was described as a rigid sigmoidoscopy (!). I wasn't under anaesthetic at all, I'm not going to lie it did hurt. But it wasn't that bad, and I got over it quite quickly. I can't help with the anaesthetic or anything but hope you get on ok :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21