One year after LIS.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One year after LIS.

Postby StevePain » 08 Aug 2011, 03:30

I thought I'd update on my situation one year after LIS so here goes...
Last time I posted here I was still having quite bad discomfort/pain, since then I've seen a surgeon who gave me the finger exam with no pain, he said that most people that have LIS make a complete recovery and those that don't may have slight pain and discomfort from time to time due to the sphincter being compromised but at least it will make life much easier going to the loo, I agreed that this was definitely my case and that I'd had little to no pain for the past month or so, on that note I concluded that this is as good as it's going to get, the surgeon didn't seem to keen on carrying out another op down there because of the risk of incontinence, he didn't say, I just knew what he was thinking, I think it would be a good decision to take what I've got and be thankful at least the horrific pain from the past was long gone and that pooping was as easy as it was before this nasty thing took over my life.
Today is 08/08/11 and I've been pretty much pain free and easy pooping for well over a month so I can say that despite the very unsteady road of pain/discomfort after LIS for 10-11 months I am healed or as good as, however, because of my constant changes in diet I have IBS flare ups that can be quite bad (I pass jelly like stools) and have lots of gas and bloating, I suppose this is a small price to pay and can happily live with it.
My thoughts on LIS.
My advice to anyone considering the procedure would be to get all the facts and info beforehand, don't get left to your own devices, take whatever your CRS says with a BIG pinch of salt because they aren't always right (trust me), use this place as much as you can, "ALL" the info you'd ever need is right here and once you feel the time is right for surgery go for it, in the long run it will be worth it, I'm really glad I had the op and you will be too, be prepared for the recovery period, sometimes this is as bad as the actual fissure but take each day as it comes, it's the little steps that make the difference.
Steve.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: One year after LIS.

Postby Dave » 08 Aug 2011, 06:45

Hi Steve Im now just over 6 months post LIS and definitely not cured yet - had the LIS on 28 Jan 2011 (see my other post under newbies). It is more manageable now most of the time but the blood is still there although very small quantities. I dont need pain killers anymore except for days when I have a second stool and still at the office - then its a bit sore and I take a pain killer. Most of the time I only experience little pain during the passing of a stool. But its still uncomfortable and you know that everything is not as it used to be down there. My stools are never very hard although I prefer them firm and not very soft. I do experience burning sensations as well from time to time. My skin tag is still there - not been removed as part of the LIS. I'm really wondering whether I should have had the LIS in the first place and if diet and water wouldve cured it by now. Some days are more difficult than others - just wondering wheter there will be any improvement in the next six months....
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby of all the places to hurt » 08 Aug 2011, 07:04

Steve & Dave,
Reading both your blogs has left me confused now. I am 5 months into fissure ville Image and suffer with the usual bm problems, spasms etc...I am having a scan on 24th and then a colonoscopy. I have already had a sigmoidoscopy so i might refuse ?? On offer to me already by CRS is botox. I am definately going to try that. But, guys, you both have so different tales to tell about LIS. I have read mixed reviews. Gosh, I am so frightened. This is ruining my life. I haven't worked in ages and am still stuck in the house, having 3 to 6 sitz baths a day. I have changed my eating habits. But, also I am not hungry anymore. Psychologically I am frightened to eat for obvious reasons. I am so glad to hear that you Steve are better! Well Done!! Dave, we can't change the past so no good beating urself up about it. I think that in time u will be fully recovered. I really hope so!! After reading this site, I think that more people are benefiting from LIS than not. And, when push come to shove for me... I am definately going to have the procedure done as I can't cope living like this for much longer! I think the dole queue awaits me too as if my kids and friends don't quite understand my pain then how the hell will my boss!!!

of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 08:02

Hey Steve,
I was wondering if you still have spasms? I hope you continue to get better! I agree 100% when you say take what a CRS says with a grain of salt and do your own research.
Dave, In my research I've read many times that skin tags can prevent healing of the fissure. Image
I guess it could depend on the size,etc?! Did you also have fissurectomy as Steve or just LIS?
Please keep in mind guys that a few folks needed the second LIS because the cut wasn't sufficient with the first surgery... Remember Fissy- Steve. She's not incontinent or any of the others either who had 2nd or 3rd LIS's. Desperatehousewife is one of the newer boardies and has had two LIS's. Don't give up!
Andrea, I know you are weighing out your options. Good luck and read, read all you can on here and research. I know it's a B**** to have to decide on a procedure that scares the hell out of you. I was so freaked out! I remember feeling like I had to choose the lesser of two evils. Just keep in mind many of us who have had LIS got awesome results. If you haven't read all the older threads, you may want to take a look. Everyone's gone and eventually did heal even if some took longer than others. Cheryl who started the forum suffered 6 years before having LIS. Her intentions (seemed to be) were to take the fear out of this surgery and to tell her success to encourage and support others. I really think that is how the majority do. As Steve said get all the facts and if you notice a pattern with folks on here getting a procedure that isn't healing, ask your CRS if they do it and why or why not. Don't hesitate to not do something you feel others aren't fairing well by doing. Example- if you notice folks healing better getting rid of a tag, then ask your CRS will they remove it or vice versa. If you notice people having fissurectomies heal better or aren't healing then ask if this will be done and why or why not or vice versa. Don't just go into anything blindly without questioning and researching.
Good luck to you all! Image

Postby Dave » 08 Aug 2011, 08:09

Hi Dawn Thanks for the reply - any chance that you could point me to the research you've done regarding the skin tag? Mine is outside and clearly visible - almost with a snake-like split end (sorry for the TMD). My surgeon is VERY conservative and avoid further cutting in the area at all costs - if I could convince him with some research he might be more willing. I only had an LIS - no skin tag removal and no fissurectomy. Dave
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby alpinestrawberry » 08 Aug 2011, 08:23

Steve, I am SO glad you're doing better. This is a sloooow healing area, and I think giving it a full year before considering another surgery is the way to go. Giving it time has been useful in my case anyway; I've seen gradual improvement over the last 2 months (it's been almost 5 months since surgery).
The problem is, when you're in pain, when you've just had a fresh tear and you've already jumped through all the hoops of creams, surgery, maybe botox, etc., it's just so extremely depressing. It's easy to believe then that it's not going to get better, ever.
Hang in there, everyone who's healing slowly!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 12:06

Dave wrote:Hi Dawn Thanks for the reply - any chance that you could point me to the research you've done regarding the skin tag? Mine is outside and clearly visible - almost with a snake-like split end (sorry for the TMD). My surgeon is VERY conservative and avoid further cutting in the area at all costs - if I could convince him with some research he might be more willing. I only had an LIS - no skin tag removal and no fissurectomy. Dave

Hey Dave,
Here's a web link. It says they can slow healing and I know It's not the first time I've read it. Hope this helps and I will post more links if I run across anymore info.it's in the paragraph about surgical treatment.
http://www.medicinenet.com/anal_fissure/page3.htm
" Finally, an associated large anal papilla or a large hemorrhoidal tag may interfere physically with wound healing, and removing them may promote healing"

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 12:09

ps...
There's no such a thing as TMI on here. :oops:
I had my skin tag removed. It was very painful and on the outside(HUGE). Image

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 12:45

Here's another web site Dave.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15869011
This study establishes that removal of hypertrophied anal papillae and fibrous polyps should be carried on a routine basis during surgical treatment of anal fissure. This would add to the effectiveness and completeness of the procedure.

Postby StevePain » 08 Aug 2011, 14:12

Dave wrote:Hi Steve Im now just over 6 months post LIS and definitely not cured yet - had the LIS on 28 Jan 2011 (see my other post under newbies). It is more manageable now most of the time but the blood is still there although very small quantities. I dont need pain killers anymore except for days when I have a second stool and still at the office - then its a bit sore and I take a pain killer. Most of the time I only experience little pain during the passing of a stool. But its still uncomfortable and you know that everything is not as it used to be down there. My stools are never very hard although I prefer them firm and not very soft. I do experience burning sensations as well from time to time. My skin tag is still there - not been removed as part of the LIS. I'm really wondering whether I should have had the LIS in the first place and if diet and water wouldve cured it by now. Some days are more difficult than others - just wondering wheter there will be any improvement in the next six months....

Dave, I was exactly where you are at 6 months post, infact I pretty much stayed the same for 10-11 months with the exception of a few good days here and there, I'm also with you as far as firmer stools seem the easiest, they have (I believe) helped me with the healing because I don't have multiple stools in a day the area has more time to heal, I eat foods that make my stools more bulky so that I get rid of more in a single trip, common sense really, the more times you go, the more irritation occurs and thus hampers healing.
The next 6 months for you Dave will really tell you if things have worked but in the meantime just try and remain positive and keep your stools bulky, take psyllium husk or Fybogel to help with this, I can tell you that Fybogel has worked the best for me in the long run.
Good Luck - Steve
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45