Jello is my friend

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Jello is my friend

Postby kristiblue » 11 Aug 2011, 09:45

Since my diagnosis 3 days ago ,my fear of food has become extreme. Almost to the point of not eating at all for fear of creating a BM. I would be willing to eat baby food at this point. I discontinued all SHARP foods. I dont eat bread at all. Or even pasta. (im low carbing) When i have hunger pangs I eat sugar free jello and as a treat I have some cool whip.I am determined to beat this and if stools are the culprit I am definatley keeping them soft. Drinking stool softner throught the day.Miralax.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Jello is my friend

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2011, 10:25

Kristi,
I barely ate with my fissure before surgery. I understand where you are coming from. I was scared too, but you have to eat or you may develop other health problems. Jello has no nutritional value. Soft foods like well cooked veggies and fruit will help make soft BM's. The key to healing a fissure is keeping soft bm's for a long period of time. It takes 6- 8 weeks to heal and keeping the bm's soft for a much longer period of time until that area regains strength. You can't eat jello for 6 weeks and get the nutrients your body needs. Don't be afraid of food. Just avoid sharp foods, red meat, cheese or anything that can cause harder bm's. The miralax is awesome and some are able to eat just about anything while using it.

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2011, 10:31

ps... kristi- you have a good shot of healing this fissure while it's acute, with the nitro , baths and diet... I didn't get diagnosed for 4 months and my fissure was chronic before I even had a clue what to do and got the diltiazem(another ointment for fissures).

Postby val » 11 Aug 2011, 11:21

Kristi, I'm low carbing too! It isn't really a fissure friendly diet though!
I totally agree with Dawn - you have to eat, and give your body the nutrients it needs to heal. Not eating will also have a negative effect with the low carbing too - you should eat something every 4-5 hours at least, or your liver will chuck out it's own version of carbs!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby kristiblue » 11 Aug 2011, 12:46

Todays brain storm...thinking of doing a baby food diet.That way I get my nutrients,no additives,no preservatives. And soft bowels. Anyone ever do this?
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Postby val » 11 Aug 2011, 13:30

Baby food has nutrients for babies!! You would be much better off cutting out junk food and constipating foods, adding more fibre to your diet and taking a stool softener such as miralax/movicol.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby kristiblue » 11 Aug 2011, 15:30

I dont eat junk food. Such as fast foods or chips n dips,fries etc. And I drink tons of water rarely ever get constipated. I love veggies! And have a fridge full. Maybe juicing would be better???
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Postby Bambi » 11 Aug 2011, 19:26

Hi there- so sorry to hear you are having trouble, but glad you found the site. I had my fissure for almost a year before I did need to have surgery. But Dawn is right- you have a good chance to get things healing in the "acute" stage. I have to say that I never really restricted my diet that much. Some on here have talked about losing a huge amount of weight because of becoming frightened of producing a BM. But you know, it is pretty inevitible and the Miralax will definitely keep things soft. Other than the things Dawn mentioned which are generally constipating and since you don't eat a lot of junk food like chips or other sharp foods (or nuts or things), I think a baby food diet might be ok- you should ask you Dr. though. Maybe you could get a really good food processor or blender and puree regular table food as they do for some patients in nursing homes because of swallowing issues. You could get quite a few nutrients but bypass the concern of not having chewed the food well enough. What do others think?
Bambi
By the way, don't be so scared by the prospect of botox or surgery that you let this go on much past 8 weeks unless it is pretty clear you are on a steady healing path by then (and we will all hope for you that is the case). That would be my advice.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Bambi » 11 Aug 2011, 19:29

And water, water, water and more water! I am still drinking around 100 ounces a day- I think getting dehydrated is what caused me to originally have one really hard stool that caused this all. A combination of not drinking enough water, taking a prescribed diuretic, taking an antihistamine for allergies, and working outside all day. Sometimes on here, if people increase their fiber and don't drink a lot of water, it can have an opposite effect.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2011, 20:36

Kristi,
I think pureeing or juicing would be ok. I think it would be a good idea to get enough fiber to keep things moving. You don't want to get constipated!
Bambi, It's funny you mentioned antihistamine. I was taking the same thing when I got my fissure last year.