Surgery for an anal fissure last wed. but now I can't well..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery for an anal fissure last wed. but now I can't well..

Postby buttowies » 15 Aug 2011, 20:04

POOP!
I have drank a lot of water daily
eaten mainly vegetables
Taken biscopyl every day and have been on stool softener for two days now
And yet.... I can't poop
Help please!
I called my doctor and he said that this was "normal" but he also never saw somebody who hirt from a fissure as bad as I did so, whatever.
My husband is leaving to go buy some mira lax as I type, but I am feeling awful, and of course terrified that I will have more hands touching my butt.
Suggestions?
buttowies

Topics: 1

Re: Surgery for an anal fissure last wed. but now I can't well..

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Aug 2011, 20:57

I went a couple days immediately after my surgery without pooping -- it was scary and I certainly know how you must feel. But if you've had LIS, then in all likelihood your tail is now set up to heal, so even this indignity -- when you do finally go -- will really not be a big deal overall. You can heal now; you should be getting the correct blood flow down there and not have the tightness. It may hurt some, but it'll probably be that sore kind of hurt and not the typical fissure-hell agony, just do all you can to stay regular...
Deleted User 5

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Aug 2011, 07:55

Hi Buttowies - I'm sorry you are suffering, and really sorry you can't poop! That's awful. But it's actually not too uncommon either. Many boardies have found that Milk of Magnesia (MOM) helps to get things going when they're "backed up", and then Miralax after that helps maintain regularity and soft poos.
Kim's right, don't worry too much about the first BM when it comes. You are set up to heal now that you've had the surgery, so even if the first BM is a bit rough, you will recover from it and likely have good poops after that as long as you use stool softeners.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Deleted User 579

Postby buttowies » 16 Aug 2011, 08:07

Thank you everybody for the well wishes. I did give birth to my poop baby early this morning and it was huge! Sorry for the graphics but I'm very sore now and have gone a couple more times loosley.
Thank goodness for Mira lax because im sure I was close to impaction.
Now to keep regular. Any suggestions?
buttowies

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Aug 2011, 08:28

Congratulations on your bouncing baby poop! Image (I'm guessing it bounced - mine did Image )
I'm so glad the Miralax helped. It may take a while for the BMs to normalize, since surgery is traumatic to the butt and things need to settle down there a bit. My advice is to manage the doses you take of the Miralax in light of how the BMs go. What I like about that stuff is that you can take as much or as little as you feel you need.
I also suggest eating enough fiber. It may take a little trial and error to figure out how much works best for you, especially as your butt settles down and BMs normalize. Insoluble fiber, like leafy greens, will help keep things moving (spinach works for me as a good natural laxative). I also have oatmeal with some milled flax seed sprinkled on it for breaky to help keep the stools formed, but soft. Oh yeah, and definitely don't forget to drink LOTS of water!
There are lots of good food ideas here and many of them are pretty yummy too. I hope you have very nice poos from now on, but not too many in one day!
Deleted User 579

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Aug 2011, 13:57

uuh uhh uhh!!!
Yay Image Image Image Image Yay
WHEW! :)
YOU did it...!!!
I can't really add much to Hopetoheal's GREAT advice but to say there is no need to overhydrate OR eat TOO much fiber, just get your normal amounts of both. Too much water will only make you pee a lot (the extra water will NOT be sent to your stools) and too much fiber will only make you have large, uncomfortable BMs. But Do get enough of each. A little dose of milk of magnesia and maybe some prunes each day?
Glad to hear you are back on track!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Aug 2011, 14:52

I absolutely agree with Kim. I went overboard on the fiber at first, and all that did was mess up my digestive system. Image
I was also drinking TONS of water and all that did was make me pee ALL the time. I would have to pee like a race horse at 3am every night - one time I dosed off on the toilet for a few minutes and when I woke up, I was still peeing!
The Miralax will really help you stay regular with nice soft poos while you figure out how much fiber and water works for your body. :D
Deleted User 579