I am so Happy I Found this Group!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I am so Happy I Found this Group!

Postby vsweeney09 » 26 Aug 2011, 11:01

I have had a reoccurring anal fissure for about 9 years now. I would have a little bleeding and pain here and there and did not think much about it. Usually I would have it for one bm or sometimes for a few days, but it always went away on its own and I just went on not worrying about it. I did mention it to my Dr. a few times, but she always told me she sees a small hemorrhoid and to take hemorrhoid cream.
The past month and a half I have been experiencing pain in my pelvic area. My Dr. does not know what it is and prescribed me a pain killer, which in turned made me a bit constipated. While straining a bit, I had a major flair up. I was in severe pain and was unable to go to the bathroom for 3 days, even when I had to so badly. I did not eat or drink anything in those 3 days in fear it would make the urge to go stronger. It was torture. I even took laxatives and it was still unbearable. I ended up going the ER and they took a look and saw that I had an anal fissure (Yes, finally an answer). They prescribed me Diltiazem with Lidocane. I took it for about a week and all seemed okay I also started taking (when I was finally able to have a bm) laxatives daily.
Almost a week later I went to the bathroom when I woke up and I was in severe pain again. This time it was so painful. I knew I was in trouble when my bm was watery from the laxatives and I could not go, because it burned and stung too much. I had to hold it in again and I ended up going the urgent care at my medical facility. The Dr. there took a look and saw multiple fissures. More then what I had the following weekend.
I made an appointment at the beginning of this month to see a CRS but I have to wait to Sept 1st (thankfully it is a week away now). The Dr. who saw me at the urgent care contacted her and they had me come in for a sigmoidoscopy which I did yesterday. They findings were rectal fissures. I read about it on piece of paper they gave me while I was leaving. I have not heard from anyone since then. Thankfully the CRS I am seeing next week did the procedure, so hopefully she can give me some answers when I see her.
I have been living in fear every day for almost a month, I am so scared to eat heavy or have a firm bm. I take laxatives nightly right before bed. It makes me go more, but it also helps make it loose enough for me to deal with. I have tried stool softeners, but they do not work at all. I have lost 7lbs in 3 weeks due to several bms per day and eating light.
The support I can find on here will be very helpful to me. I feel as if people do not understand the pain I am experiencing. I want them to understand a bit since it is severe and taking over my life.
Please feel free to write to me and I will be here to support everyone.
Thank you

vsweeney09
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: I am so Happy I Found this Group!

Postby val » 26 Aug 2011, 12:33

Hi there,
sorry you're suffering so much! That's a good thing that you have an appointment with a CRS. At least he will know what he is talking about, unlike GPs who usually prescribe haemorrhoid cream!
What stool softeners/laxatives have you tried? Movicol/miralax seems to be the fav here!
Have you stopped using the diltiazem? It may feel better after using it for a week, but you should continue to use it for a while, as the fissure wont be healed.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: I am so Happy I Found this Group!

Postby Guest » 26 Aug 2011, 20:11

Hi Vs,
I'm sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine how it must feel to have multiple fissures. One was absolutely horrible for me. I hope you appointment goes well and you get some more options with healing your fissures. I know it has to suck with the frequent loose bm's. It can be a challenge and painful getting things right. Image
As Val mentioned already, the Miralax/ or Movicol are a favorite with most of us. You can adjust the dose for what works best for you. It's not harsh like a stimulant laxative but makes soft bm's.
Again as Vals already mentioned- even if you feel better after a week or so, don't stop the diltiazem. It takes months of using it when it does work to heal
Good luck with you appointment. It seem like eternity when you are in pain!