Suffering from Fissure, it's been 1 month already

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Suffering from Fissure, it's been 1 month already

Postby GuyDC » 28 Aug 2011, 17:31

I have been suffering from a posterior fissure for over a month, with no changes on the horizon.
I have seen doctors and done various analyses, including a full colonoscopy and blood test. All results are normal, including the colonoscopy results. I also take Colace twice daily and try to eat well.
However, the fissure is not disappearing and I still have pain and blood during each Bowel Movement (which happens once every 2 days for me). During the BM, the main part of the stool is soft since I'm taking Colace. But it looks like in the very beginning of the BM, the "front" part of the stool seems to be harder/dryer (maybe because it's been there the longest) and it's continuously tearing the fissure when I try to pass it, and that's when I experience the most pain and blood, at the very beginning. The rest of the stool feels more watery and passes easily without pain.
I am lost as to what to do and have no idea what to expect. How much longer does this usually go on for? My doctor didn't give me any idea how long a fissure takes to heal, what kind of time frame can I expect here, or is this a permanent thing now (God forbid)?
The Colace is softening the stool, but it's not helping with the initial re-tearing due to the harder part in the front, for some reason. I've tried sitz baths and they haven't helped.
I'm very lost, have no idea what to do or what to expect, and in general my doctors have been pretty much useless. Any kind of advice would be appreciated.
GuyDC

Topics: 2

Re: Suffering from Fissure, it's been 1 month already

Postby andyk123 » 28 Aug 2011, 18:09

http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/
this site has been very helpful for me, i think i have no read every case. the good news is its still early days for you, so your chances of healing are good.
i am by no means healed and just a few days ago had a bad flare up, but i feel if i was doing what i am doing now in the very early stages i would have healed.
eat plenty of fibre, and drink 2-3 litres of water a day. i dont know what colace is, but 'movical' works very well. it worked a little too well for me but ive now worked out how much my body needs for a nice soft stool.
avoid red meats, and anythnig that you thing may be difficult for your body to digest. so basically anything fatty/ greasy/ spicy. stick to a nice healthy diet with plenty of veg and fruit.
go to your gp and ask for nitro glycerin ointment 0.2%. this has been very helpful for me. once you get it apply it religiously in the morning, after each bm, and at night. i personally apply it about 4 times a day!
have a sitz bath after every bm. this will both help keep the area clean, and allow your muscles to relax with the heat.
i think if you do all of the above..you will give yourself a good chance of healing. try not to think of timescales, just focus on giving your body the best posible chance. you will heal eventually, dont let it get you down, although it is hard some times.
good luck!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby GuyDC » 28 Aug 2011, 18:59

Thanks Andy,
Colace is a stool softener. It softens stools, but it's not a laxative. Unlike Senna, for example (which is a laxative), it doesn't affect BMs just the stool itself. I could start taking a laxative, I'm just concerned that they can cause habituation. But maybe there's no harm in taking them for a week or so.
Good point about the red meat. I've noticed that when I eat red meat it gets significantly worse, for some reason the stool is harder to pass. I only eat chicken white meat now.
Thanks for the tip about the Nitroglycerin cream. I found it on the web as well. For some reason my gastrointerologist never mentioned it. I'll see if I can get my general physician to prescribe it.
I've also noticed that fiber helps, but not just any fiber, it has to be Psyllium or Psyllium musk. Any other kind of fiber, like cereals, doesn't help. The Psyllium does in fact help with BMs significantly and makes it more watery.
How long do sitz baths have to last, do you know? Is there really a tangible healing benefit from them, or is it more just to deal with the symptoms, but not necessarily heal?
GuyDC

Postby Guest » 28 Aug 2011, 20:38

Hey Guy,
The first thing I would do is get a referral to a CRS. They specialize in butt problems and have much more knowledge than any other Doctors.
They will prescribe one of the ointments for fissure such as Nitro, Diltiazem or Nifedipine and will also be able to help in the future if you eventually need surgery, etc...
Your fissure is acute so there is still a chance of healing before it becomes Chronic.
I never had much success with the colace, no matter how many I took. Many of have found that Miralax gives the best results. It makes the stools soft and isn't harsh like a stimulant laxative like senna. It draws water into the bowels such as colace does but seems to be much more effective. You have to give it a few days sometimes to get the optimum results. Be sure and drink plenty of water while on the fiber supplements and if you take the Miralax.
Yes avoid red meat or anything that can make the bm's harder. Most of us ate chicken & seafood while dealing with our fissures. Also avoid sharp foods that don't digest well- pop corn, nuts, tortilla chips...
Sitz baths help to relax the sphincter and allow blood flow which can help heal a fissure. I was advised and by all the research that atleast 20 minutes three times or more a day.
Last but not least- all of these things above may or may not heal a fissure. They can at the least make things more manageable.

Postby GuyDC » 28 Aug 2011, 21:02

Thanks a lot Dawn... I'll try Miralax and report any results.
GuyDC

Postby dwarfs8 » 29 Aug 2011, 00:02

i want to suggest taking vit c now too, firstly it can aid in your healing, improve your immunity against infections and also has a softening effect to your stools. I was ignorant about this when my fissures are still acute... sigh.
anyway, do take magnesium oxide too. Magnesium is important to our body and attracts water into your colon thus soften stools and it relaxes your muscles too.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19