Bleeding Worst after Proctologist Visit

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bleeding Worst after Proctologist Visit

Postby jax » 01 Sep 2011, 14:13

Hey all!
I am new to this site, so hello :)
Unfortunately I guess we are all here for similar reasons. In July, I noticed that my bowel movements were not as pleasant as they use to be. I use to look forward to it. I guess combination of stress and bad diet at the time caused me to get internal hemorrhoids. It began to hurt a little during a BM, but nothing serious. I expected it to go away in a week or so. Then a week later, I had one session that wasn't too bad, but there was a good amount of blood when I wiped. This surprised me and so I went to get some ointments. Fast forward 3 weeks later, 2 weeks on vacation with 15hr plane ride each way, it didn’t get better. Bleeding was verrry minimal like a finger prick but it hurt a bit to go. So 2 weeks ago I went to see a proctologist because I never had issues like this, or for this long. I am 25 yrs old. He tells me I have internal hemorrhoids and a fissure. He gave me some Anusol suppositories, cortisoid cream, and recommended Metamucil. He also used something called an infrared Coagulator on the fissure for a few seconds. Things started looking better, no blood, but still a little sensitive during BM. Well at my 1 week follow up, he examined again and said the fissure improved 25% but bleed when he examined it. He said he removed some scare tissue at the base of the fissure and used the infrared coagulator again. So he said to continue the suppositories, cream and Metamucil for 2 weeks and come back.
Here's the issue. The appointment was 3 days ago. I have no pain at all during my BM but there's alot more blood on my stool and toilet paper since I saw him. I called the office and they claim this is not rare after he's examined that area and used the infrared coagulator. My question is does that seem right? How can it be helping if it is bleeding more now than before or when you examine it, you make the fissure bleed?
Last edited by jax on 01 Sep 2011, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BTW he said the fissure is about quarter inch in length...
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Bleeding Worst after Proctologist Visit

Postby val » 01 Sep 2011, 14:27

Hi there, welcome on board!
I think if the area is stretched or tampered with at all, then it would be very possible to bleed - like when you have a BM.
The anusol cream and ... do you mean hydrocortisone? are usually given by daft doctors who prescribe hemmhorroid cream, which will do more harm than good to a fissure, as they thin the skin.
The preferred stool softener is miralax/movicol, we don't have metumucil in the UK, I don't think.
I think there may be someone else who had infrared, but it's not something I'm familiar with....hopefully someone will be along soon who has more knowledge.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby jax » 01 Sep 2011, 14:36

val wrote:Hi there, welcome on board!
I think if the area is stretched or tampered with at all, then it would be very possible to bleed - like when you have a BM.
The anusol cream and ... do you mean hydrocortisone? are usually given by daft doctors who prescribe hemmhorroid cream, which will do more harm than good to a fissure, as they thin the skin.
The preferred stool softener is miralax/movicol, we don't have metumucil in the UK, I don't think.
I think there may be someone else who had infrared, but it's not something I'm familiar with....hopefully someone will be along soon who has more knowledge.

Yea, that's what the office said. I was just a bit concerned since the first visit didn't cause much bleeding the days afterward. I guess I'll give it more time. He prescribed (salix.com/assets/pdf/prescribe_info/anusolsupppi.pdf) and (medicinenet.com/clotrimazole/article.htm).
I thought I read somewhere that antiinflammatory meds like the above could make bleeding worst. But I figured he knew what he was doing and it seemed to work the first week. Maybe I'll delay the use of them until the bleeding subsides a bit. He is certfied and in the field for 25 years...hmmm.
Like I said before, it doesn't hurt, but it's concerning to see blood smeared on my stool and when I wipe. I hope Im not tearing something apart. I've been fairly healthy my whole life and never had something like this before. :/ He claims everything else seemed normal. He even examined up to my descending colon during the first visit.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby val » 01 Sep 2011, 14:46

Well, clotrimazole is for yeast infections like thrush! And anusol is for piles!
That's good that he examined your colon and everything is normal.
val
King Fissure

Postby jax » 01 Sep 2011, 17:26

Anybody else have their Dr. using infrared coagulator on them and bleed afterwards?
jax
Salt Bather

Postby val » 02 Sep 2011, 10:13

I think the infrared is just for the internal hemmies?? And the anti-inflammatories to be avoided would be ibruprofen or any NSAIDs, as they can cause excessive bleeding.
I would imagine it would be perfectly normal to bleed a little for a week or so afterwards. Excessive bleeding would be something to worry about though.
val
King Fissure