I'm so lost.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I'm so lost.

Postby pink_bows » 04 Sep 2011, 14:20

I feel like I'm in weird nightmare, never in a million did I think I'd be losing my mind over my tush.
At first i didnt know what was happening to me and for two weeks expirenced the most intense pain i've ever had the displeasure of feeling. My BMs were so painful i'd literally shiver with pain, couldnt move, getting up from where i was sitting was a mission for me. Finally i got the courage to see my doc thats when he told me i had an AF and prescribed me lidocaine hydrochloride jelly (which felt like it did nothing for me) and sent me on my merry way - more confused than i was going in. However i still expirenced pain.
I decided to seek attention somewhere else and was given a mixture of the lidocaine jelly and nitro which gave me raging headaches and headswings all within 5mins of application. I cant tell if it does anything for me beyond that.
I started using a herbal tea that made my stool softer but not a consitency that was soft enough. Since, i've built up a little tolerance to the tea and drink that with one dulcolax. Now i just cant find the right balance between the two to achieve stool thats excuse this graphic detail but the consistency of toothpaste or something. Its either too hard or too (sorry again) runny.
The good news is cant lie the pain is a lot better than that first month it use to feel like i was cut all over and inside, now its just pain in one area where the fissure is.
I drink lots of water and use metamucil as well as eat fiber brand cereal but still cant achieve that desired consistency.
Im just lost at this point idk what to do, what to buy, what to try, where to go, im losing my mind. I just dont want to end up too far along that i'll need surgery esp. since i dont have medical insurance and doc visits are expensive enough for me.
any advise pleaseee? <3
pink_bows
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: I'm so lost.

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2011, 15:34

Hey Pink,
Many of the folks on here have found Miralax to be very effective with achieving the perfect BM. You can adjust the dose up or down depending on how it works for you. I say start with the capful and adjust up or down.
Good Luck!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:24

Hi Pink - I'm so sorry that you are suffering! I second Dawn's advice about the Miralax. It really does help to make the stools very soft. Also, warm/hot baths are very helpful because they stimulate blood flow in the anus and that, in turn, promote healing.
I hope you heal very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby dwarfs8 » 05 Sep 2011, 02:24

Hi Pink, u are not alone. We all been there. We are living lives happily when suddenly we got ourselves hurt down there and we couldn't do one of the simplest thing our body is made to do - poo.
The starting of the pain is always very devastating. For me, i almost fainted in the toilet and my hubby wanted to send me to A&E, seeing that i was screaming and crying in pain on the bed.
Gd thing is the fissures for you has calmed down a bit. Remember to heed the advice of dawn and hopetoheal. Take sitz bath (u got to buy a sitz pan from phamacies) 20mins at least twice a day (after each bm). Take softeners or u could try half cup of prune juice every morning with breakfast, take magnesium oxide 400mg at night. Both of these helps soften stools, but u got to adjust it according to your body (sadly, no standard portions for everyone to follow). Remember NOT TO STRAIN during bms, try to keep taking deep, yet slightly rapid breaths while doing it. Your anal muscles will then push the stools out themselves. Try it. At least this is what i'm doing now for 2 weeks and has helped me a lot.
Apply aloe vera / Preparation H / vit e oil / Nitro INTO your anus with q-tip after every sitz bath.
We all experienced ups and downs in our healing process. You will know when you are ready for surgery if all else fails...
Let's fight this fissures monster together!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby pink_bows » 05 Sep 2011, 10:56

Thank you guys so much! I'll def. start making the changes i need and following what you've told me.
For me i guess the challenge is not straining everytime i go thats what i do and retear myself ):
i guess my final question was should i be going every day to heal? i usually go every other day which is probably the reason why i cant find the consistency i need i just can't help it im scared i'll black out with pain if i go every day without giving myself a day between to let whatever pain decrease a bit.
pink_bows
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 05 Sep 2011, 12:44

Hi Pink - lots of people try do decrease the number of BMs they have per week, and, unfortunately, it usually doesn't help in the long run. I understand why you'd want to have a day in between BMs to recover from the pain; but on the other hand, you don't want to get backed-up either. I really recommend using stool softeners to make sure the BMs are soft - for most people, that seems to be a better way to beat the pain than trying to have fewer BMs.
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2011, 14:10

Pink,
It's better to have a BM everyday. The longer your stool sets in your bowels, the dryer they will be when they come out. Miralax and plenty of water will probably give you the consistency your trying to achieve. Also diet- this isn't a prescription that fits all, but most will agree avoiding red meat, cheese or anything that's sharp that may not digest well. For me when I had my fissure, that would be any kind of nuts Image Some don't have problems with all dairy, etc. So you may have to keep a diary and see if you notice any foods that cause you any problems.
With that being said, you could do everything right and still not heal the fissure. They are just horrible and sometimes all we do isn't enough, but it will make your pain more manageable...
Also ladies, I'd like to add: Don't use anything that is made for hems- from ointments to wipes over two weeks. It can thin the skin and make matters worse. My GI and CRS said to throw them out. They are useless and can ulcerate the skin.
I suggest no chemicals on your rears ,except ointments such as the diltiazem and nitro which are prescribed for fissures or vaseline,A&D and such... Warm water for cleaning- is the best in my opinion, not even soap. If you have a removable shower wand, they work really well for quick rinsing and if you can take your baths in a tub. It's less pressure on your rear than a sitz bath. Sitz baths can add pressure like setting on a toilet for 20 minutes adds pressure.
Hope this helps. Good luck y'all!

Postby pink_bows » 05 Sep 2011, 19:07

*Sigh* looks like i'll have to suck it up and try to regulate myself to go everyday. Thank you so much for your advise it means the world to me.
Also, thank you for that tip dawn! I've actually ordered the dr wheatgrass super balm ointment in my desperate attempt, i'll really have to figure out what i'll do about that now.
pink_bows
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2011, 20:13

Pink,
I'm not sure about the Dr. Wheatgrass ointment. Some other folks on here have used it and I don't remember it making anything worse.
The hem ointments are a big no-no though.
Good luck, sorry you are having to go through this...Regulating the bm's will serve you well now and in the future if you decide or need surgery then you will have won half the battle with healing.

Postby dwarfs8 » 05 Sep 2011, 20:51

Pink, I have used the superbalm but it stings me after 3 applications, maybe cos of it's contents which contains alcohol n tea tree. I believe it does help some but not me, mine got worse. So u try it urself , if it does hurt u, pls stop.
Also do not use sitz bath if u have prolapsed hemmies like me!!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19