Miralax and electrolytes

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Miralax and electrolytes

Postby lurker53 » 09 Sep 2011, 22:53

Hi all, I have a question for long time miralax users. I have been on a capful nightly for over a year now, probably about 14 months since an awful fissure experience last summer with the worst pain, bleeding, cramps, etc.
Since then my fissure(s) have been bothering me off and on. Went back to CRS couple times recently, he said they are superficial and to drink water, eat fiber, take sitz baths and the like.
My question isn't about all that. It's about Miralax and electrolytes. Since I took a brutal four day work trip to Florida in late July during the record-setting heat wave and was forced to work outside for hours on end with very little ability to hyrdate, I have been having an issue. When I got back from that trip, my hands and feet were very swollen and itchy and it was clear I was dehydrated. I drank a ton of fluids and rested when I got home and in a few days I was okay again.
But ever since then when I have to work outside in the heat again (a few times since then including tonight) I get these blotchy spots on my hands and running down my wrist and on the top of my feet and the hands and feet get slightly swollen and itch a little bit. The fingers also get tingly. It scares the crap out of me. It goes back to normal after I cool down.
I googled it and came up with many things -- diabetes (I am about 60 pounds overweight, my A1C is a 5.9 for those who know what that means so I am pre-diabetic although my sugar level is only 83), poor circulation and electrolyte imbalance. The last one got me thinking.
I read on here a few times that long term use of Miralax can lead to potential electrolyte imbalance but I don't know why. I know Miralax forces water into the bowel so does it also force needed electrolytes there as well that come out in your stool? I have read that people on long term laxatives are in danger of something like this.
I go to the bathroom usually once or twice a day and they are soft and good on Miralax. When I go off it for even a day, they become a bit harder but still not a huge issue. But I'm afraid to stop it altogether or even go more than two days without it. I'm not healing that quickly as it is and without Miralax I'm afraid I'd do some damage.
One quick note, when I am working outside I don't drink nearly as much water as when I'm working from home. It's just not possible. The more water I drink, the more I have to pee and where I'm working there isn't easy access to bathrooms nor time to use one. Same with flights, I don't drink as much because I don't want to get up to go to the airplane bathroom every 10 minutes.
Can someone educate me on the potential for electrolyte loss using Miralax daily for a long time? This could be poor circulation, my pre-diabetic condition or even dehydration (although it still happens when I'm overheated, sweating a lot AND drinking a lot of fluids) but I wonder about the electrolytes.
Thanks in advance.
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: Miralax and electrolytes

Postby lurker53 » 10 Sep 2011, 22:14

Bump, any ideas or thoughts?
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Postby cherylk » 11 Sep 2011, 06:39

I don't think Miralax is causing your problems, but it is important to drink plenty of water when taking Miralax.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 11 Sep 2011, 11:14

I second Cheryl. I've been using Miralax for about a year and I haven't experienced any side effects. I'm not sure if you could suffer electrolyte imbalance unless you are taking too much or getting diarrhea from it. I don't think a couple of normal well formed bm's a day could cause electrolyte imbalance. As Cheryl said, be sure and drink plenty of water. Maybe a Gatorade? Image