Bleeding after surgery on a fistula

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Bleeding after surgery on a fistula

Postby john » 14 Sep 2011, 15:35

blood in my bandage a day after surgery. not a lot. also can't go no.2, Image took some miralax and ducolax. anyone know how much pain i will have with BM. Image crs tells me it was skin deep only fistula? any info on healing. crs doesn't give me much info, guess she figures i don't need to know. :roll:
john
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Bleeding after surgery on a fistula

Postby john » 14 Sep 2011, 19:07

oh man...i feel like someone kicked me in the rear. i had LIS and now fistulaotomy. waiting for the pain med to kick in. day 1 almost over. how many more to go. lol
john
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 14 Sep 2011, 19:30

Hey John,
Congrats on getting your surgery over! You'll be sore for awhile. It does feel like somebody kicked you in the butt,Lol. The first few days are the worst. You just need to stay ahead of the pain. Don't let it catch up to you! Take those meds right on the dot when the time comes and keep taking the Miralax. I didn't have fistula surgery but I had LIS and a skin tag removed. The first BM wasn't bad at all for me. Better than the day before with my fissure. Actually things just felt a little swollen but not painful for me. So try and relax! It's not always bad...
This time next week should be much better. The second week seems to be the golden week for most of us. It's a very noticeable difference. I always say count weeks, not days or it'll feel like watching grass grow... Lol
Take care! Do the baths as soon as you can! I was told the second day post-op was ok.
Take care. Keep us posted!:)

Postby john » 14 Sep 2011, 23:54

i am hoping i can make it until the second week...finally went. no pain at first then the spasm took over. sat in warm water then took another pain med. still seeping blood but not too much. i am laying down with the wound open with no covering. maybe tommorow will be a bit easier.
john
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 15 Sep 2011, 01:38

I've had two fistula surgeries - yes, the first week is definitely not pleasant!
As Dawn says, stay on top of the pain, and get lots of rest, and lots of baths.
It will leak blood for a while, but gradually slows down, then disappears.
Hang in there, it will get better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby john » 15 Sep 2011, 12:30

don't feel like i have been kicked in the rear...feeling like i have been punched in the rear. at least the pinching pain is gone from the fistula. i had a tunneling hole which i could pass gas and feces through. sic
john
Fibre Addict

Postby of all the places to hurt » 15 Sep 2011, 15:07

A suggestion John:- read old threads on here to get u by too!! Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby john » 16 Sep 2011, 08:21

day 3 BM...thought i was going to die. no pain pills.
john
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Sep 2011, 10:28

Hey John! Hang in there! It gets easier! The first week is not fun, but then things settle down. Dawn and Val are right - stay on top of the pain. Take your pain meds and plenty of stool softeners and water to avoid constipation. Don't worry about the blood. I'm 11 weeks post-op and still bleed a bit with a BM. You've got a big cut in your butt and that will bleed for a while yet, but that's actually a good thing. You don't want a fistulotomy to heal too quickly because it has to drain and heal from the bottom/inside of the wound out - if it heals too quicklyu, it could form another 'roof' and become another fistula. Don't forget to take nice deep yoga breaths with the BMs - no pushing. Soon the BMs will be much easier.
Deleted User 579

Postby john » 16 Sep 2011, 14:04

thinking 3 days is not enough time to heal...pain pills make me sick but gotta keep taking them. this is by far worse than a LIS operation. will hang in there and quit whinning about it... NOT. thank god this is only skin deep and no muscle was cut. 1/8 of inch wide and goes outside to inside of rectum.
john
Fibre Addict