Freaking myself out...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Freaking myself out...

Postby lurker53 » 04 Oct 2011, 14:31

Seeing a new CRS Monday and I don't know why but the thought has not entered my mind that my fissures not healing are a sign of something more diabolical such as cancer.
I'm afraid she'll want to do a colonoscopy (don't know how I could ever do the prep the way things are) and then the results will be the worst. Of course I have some serious anxiety issues that stem from childhood trauma and my mind can race and race.
A friend of mine was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at age 51 and I guess I am freaking out a lot.
Are fissures not healing potentially a sign of something worse? I don't seem to have any symptoms associated with Chrohn's or cancer (although I don't know what those symptoms would be) and my previous CRS never seemed concerned about anything and said they are "superficial" whatever that means.
Sorry to be so freaked out, I have issues Image
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: Freaking myself out...

Postby val » 04 Oct 2011, 14:38

Alot of us fissure sufferers are the over-anxious type! Myself included!
Try not to worry too much. I have non-healing fissures and reocurring fistulas but no underlying condition.
I hope you have found a good CRS with lots of knowledge!! Best of luck for your appointment on monday!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby TonyStone » 04 Oct 2011, 15:11

I had no underlying issues that I know of, just a sphincter that spasmed like it was lifting weights.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Rosa M » 04 Oct 2011, 15:49

Too funny, Tony! Lurker, I was having those same thoughts because i know I should have started going for colonoscopies years ago but couldn't find the courage to do it. You're not alone. Some of us let our minds run away with ourselves at times. This is understandable considering what we are going through with fissures or other 'butt problems' but don't let it get the best of you.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Jas » 04 Oct 2011, 16:28

I feel like I have gone mad. Even after my surgery I obsess about the area and it has made me depressed and anxious. I have just started taking celexa to help with my depression and anxiety. I swear after 2 years of butt issues I have developed OCD and some PTSD. I am surprised my wife has not divorced me yet. Hopefully the meds will help me through this hard time.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Oct 2011, 16:54

Lurker, Please please calm down Image There are "red flags" that come up with Cancer and up to now you haven't got them ... Thankfully!! For one, there would be what are called markers, in ur blood. Two, u would have bleeding that is not caused by the stretching of our o's at bm time. Please don't worry too much. See this new Doc on Monday, and b4 u go, write down everything you want to know and ask away. That way you won't forget anything later and you should be reassured. Don't come out of her office, without a plan of action, of what they intend to do to fix you up ok! Even ask for some counselling too if you think you would benefit. Don't worry, I know it's easier said than done Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Oct 2011, 16:58

Also Jas, I am sure your wife understands! I know how difficult it is for our family to completely "get" what were going thru. But, love conquers all etc... Be strong as you will get thru all of this. There is proof all around this forum :D
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jas » 04 Oct 2011, 18:38

Thank you for your kind words. I know I will get through this I just need to be more patient. I guess I expected everything to be back to 100% after 2 1/2 months. I see many posts that state it can take up to a year to be completely back to normal.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Oct 2011, 19:03

We are all different aren't we?! Keep ur chin up and be positive Image Rome weren't built in a day and neither were our ass'es ;-0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Oct 2011, 08:53

Please try not to worry, i was petrified like you but I have no underlying condition at all. If you've been told your fissures are superficial it means they don't go all the way through the intestine wall (and possibly mean its partially healed). Fissures can also be classed as deep which go completely through. I think it was Dawn who told me this!! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21