My experience 2 1/2 months after surgery w/several questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My experience 2 1/2 months after surgery w/several questions

Postby Jas » 04 Oct 2011, 15:39

I went to my CRS for the 2nd time in two weeks due to what I feel as irritation and a bruise feeling on the left side in the area the LIS incision was made. My surgeon once again did a thorough exam with a small scope and did not see anything. He said I may have had a minor tear that has healed due to a hard BM. He also said my rectal tone is still good and if I do injure the area that it should heal pretty fast. I asked him if I should go back to him everytime I possibly tear with a harder than normal BM and he said no I don't need too. He prescribed me the hydrocortisone suppositories we all hate incase of inflammation. I let him know my fears and he said as long as I don't use them over two weeks I will be fine andmy skin will not become thinner. My CRS is a great surgeon and very experienced. He says he does about 6 LIS surgeries a month so I am inclined to trust his word. Just a note to those who are considering having surgery it is so worth it. Even though I am just over two months post surgery and still have some discomfort I am 10 times better than I was before the surgery. Maybe I am being impatient in regards to my healing. The only area that still affects me is where he made the cut into the muscle. Not sure if it can be normal to have irritation in that area after 2 months. The other two areas on the top and bottom where he did the fissurectomies almost feel as good as new although I will still take it easy. I was scared if I had a fistula where the LIS incision was but he said he did not feel or see anything abnormal. Fir those who have had one what does a fistula feel like?. Has anyone else had the LIS site take a while to feel 100%. I wonder if it could be nerves in that area or just the muscle.
D
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: My experience 2 1/2 months after surgery w/several questions

Postby SummerGal » 04 Oct 2011, 17:35

I have had a fistula and had fistulotomy (and hemorroidectomy and skin tag removed). As to what it feels like, have you ever had an ingrown hair or boil or something like that that was irritated? It started off feeling that way on my lower left cheek, then I noticed it got more and more painful and it had become a pretty large sized abcess. After it burst (kind of like a pimple does), it felt much better as that relieved the pressure inside, but it was not pleasant at all. I had some light drainage most the time after that until I finally got in to have a fistulotomy. You know, I too have a bruised feeling sometimes when I go to the bathroom, so I am assuming it's also one of the surgery sites just being slow to recover. I still have some issues (bleeding during bm etc.), but I do feel better than pre-surgery for sure. (knock on wood). I go back on December, so hopefully he won't tell me I need more done! Hope all goes well with you Jas!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: My experience 2 1/2 months after surgery w/several questions

Postby Jas » 04 Oct 2011, 17:58

Summergal thank you for the explanation. Fortunately I don't have any symptoms that resemble a fistula. Just the slight burning/ bruise feeling on the left side about a half inch inside around the LIS incision. I even pin pointed the exact location to my surgeon who then looked with the anoscope and did not see anything abnormal. I hope it's just mild irritation from having the larger and harder BM's lately. I started using more miralax and metamucil hope it will just go away on it's own. Oh well at least he didn't find anything negative.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13