New CRS said surgery is the way to go...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

New CRS said surgery is the way to go...

Postby lurker53 » 11 Oct 2011, 11:45

Hi everyone,
I went to see my new CRS on Monday because I had been seeing my first one for a year and he kept telling me sitz baths, fiber and water and it will heal. It wasn't healing. So I expected to see this new CRS (a woman) Monday and then go to see him Tuesday and see which one understood more. But after seeing this new one I guess I have decided to trust in her and have LIS. It has not been scheduled yet, doing that this week when her scheduler calls.
The new CRS talked to me and asked what issue was, then asked me if I was doing all the fiber, sitz baths, water, etc. Also asked me if I tried any creams and I told her Diltiazem worked at first but then became ineffective.
Then she took a look and it wasn't a long look, lasted like 30 seconds (no analscope needed). Then she asked "Did Dr Brown (my other CRS) ever talk to you about surgery?" That's when I told her no he never did. The last time I saw him about six weeks ago he said my fissures were "superficial" and can be healed with water, fiber and sitz baths. This despite the fact that I have been battling these things for well over a year.
I got dressed and she came back in and told me and my wife (she was with me) that she felt I was a good candidate for surgery.
She said the fissure was surely chronic by now and probably has been for six months or more (Based on what I have read probably longer than that). She said she only does surgery on good candidates meaning those who have tried many other things to heal but it hasn't worked. She said my initial good response to Diltiazem was a good sign because the Diltiazem tries to do what surgery actually does, relax the inner sphincter muscle so the wound can heal.
She said every time someone with a chronic fissure has a BM, the wound either opens again or is traumatized forcing the inner sphincter muscle to tighten and clench and not allowing blood flow to the area to heal. Those are spasms and can come in two forms -- throbbing, long spasms or a constant pain like you've been sliced with a knife (I have the second kind but have had the first kind before). I told her BMs don't hurt, but wiping or anything else done to the area does. She said the smaller fissures I have are likely caused by the skin being weakened by constant moisture down there.
She said LIS was what I needed. I asked her many questions including does she need to cauterize the big fissure and she said "no, that will just be more pain, let the body heal itself after the pressure is taken off".
She said she has read about incontinence with LIS before but she has never had a patient experience it in 14 years of doing a "gabillion of these" and she has never known another doctor either in her practice or any other makings someone permanently incontinent. She said this is a very common surgery and one she has done to so many people.
I asked her about infection and she said the national average is about 12% of the time but she thinks it's a little higher than that. She says there have been times where she has gone six months where no LIS patients got an infection and other times where she had a couple in the same month. She said it happens, it's an incision that is constantly being passed over and filled with feces so it's hit or miss if it happens. They give you antibiotics to take, they ask you to obviously keep things soft, take sitz baths and such after surgery while recovering, but it's always a chance. If it does become infected and discharges pus and becomes bothersome, she said another procedure is needed to "pop it open" and that is another surgery under anesthesia. This kind of upset me a bit, I really, really don't want to have a second surgery for an infection.
She said only one person she's ever done this surgery on has ever had to have LIS done again. She says it takes 1-2 weeks to recover, to take it light for the first 7-10 days.
I forgot to ask many questions like how long before the fissure heals, will there be scar tissue or a skin tag from the ones that heal after the surgery that needs to be dealt with, etc and am writing them down now. I might go see her for a consultation prior to the actual surgery just to ask my additional questions.
Surgery freaks me out and scares me quite a bit. I haven't had surgery on anything since I was 11 years old and had tubes put in my nose. I am 41 now and it has been a nice 30 year run. The thought of going into the outpatient surgical area, getting an IV, meeting with the anesthesiologist, the surgeon, being wheeled off and put to sleep and then waking up and dealing with recovery all has me super anxious. And I would be so upset if I got an infection and had to have surgery all over again, jheesh I think that's my biggest fear.
So there you have it.
Can anyone think of any questions I didn't ask and should still ask or any concerns you would have? I'm sure I missed a bunch of things to ask. I cancelled my appointment with my old CRS today so I'm moving forward with this new one.
Putting this on the surgery board as well. Help?
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: New CRS said surgery is the way to go...

Postby TonyStone » 11 Oct 2011, 12:15

I am 41 too, 11 days since surgery and I am back to work. Felt fine by my 3rd or 4th day. If you have a good doc, I think it will go better than you think. Mine sure has.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: New CRS said surgery is the way to go...

Postby Guest » 11 Oct 2011, 13:45

Sounds pretty good Lurker. Your CRS sounds confident and well qualified.
Try and stay calm. The anesthesia, getting an IV are all pretty easy. It's all over quick. You will wake up and be surprised it's all over :) Really there is nothing to the surgery.
If you already have a skin tag that's bothering you, then I would ask if it will be removed. Some folks don't have that much trouble with them and don't have them removed. Mine was horrible and I can only imagine how much worse it would have been after surgery if I would have kept it. Anal surgery itself can sometimes cause skin tags but they aren't always real bothersome...
I think you found a good CRS this time and I don't blame you for cancelling on the other. I know it's hard but try not to worry too much about infection. Just do the baths and use the shower wand, etc to keep the area as clean and dry as possible while the cuts are closing up. I think you're going to do fine!