Is my CRS suggesting surgery too soon?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is my CRS suggesting surgery too soon?

Postby linda » 14 Oct 2011, 15:29

Well my pain in the butt started in June. I tried to treat myself then finally saw a great CRS on August 30th and he gave me diltiazem. Things got better worse better worse then a few weeks ago when I intoduced myself here, Dawn suggested Miralax. I thought I was cured! I had my follow up with CRS and told him I had been good for a week. He said keep up with Mirilax and call him if I needed. He didn't even check me, although he said it was up to me. I figured why bother, I thought I was on the mend then last week the pain came back and really for no reason at all. The pain isn't as bad as it was a month ago but it's there. I called the Doc to see how long I could continue to use the diltiazam (he said 4 weeks last week) and the nurse called me back and said the doc suggests surgery. WOW! Is this too soon?? or does he just know this thing isn't going to heal on it's own?? They said I could come in for a consult or I could just schedule the surgery... even next week if I wanted! I'm not afraid of surgery (thanks to all of you) and 3 weeks ago would have asked for it, but since I was feeling better, now I don't know what to think.
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Is my CRS suggesting surgery too soon?

Postby TonyStone » 14 Oct 2011, 17:26

You have to be ready, knowing what I know now, I wish I had not waited. But when you are ready you will know. So if you want to try the home stuff now and your not in terrible pain it won't hurt to wait. My pain was off the charts, thinking of suicide kind of pain. I knew it was time
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby dwarfs8 » 14 Oct 2011, 17:31

Haha, it's typical of CRS to suggest surgery, mine suggested right when I first saw him in my 2nd week of fissure. I have so many uPs and downs I could not count, n I was finally on the mend when I told him I thot of going surgery, but I got better. Maybe I wasnt ready for surgery mentally so I tried my v best to self heal. My last consultation with him was due to my prolapsed piles and he told me he saw remarkable improvement on my chronic, more than 5 months fissure.
So, u will know when u r ready for the surgery
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2011, 19:51

TonyStone wrote:You have to be ready, knowing what I know now, I wish I had not waited. But when you are ready you will know. So if you want to try the home stuff now and your not in terrible pain it won't hurt to wait. My pain was off the charts, thinking of suicide kind of pain. I knew it was time

I'm right there with you Tony. Had I known then what I know now, I would have had the surgery at 6 weeks! I agree only you can decide when you've had enough. My pain was off the charts too and suicide crossed my mind many times. If it weren't for my, husband, kids and religion...Well that seemed like the easy way out many times...
Linda,
I think your CRS probably knows by experience that the chances of healing a chronic fissure without surgery are slim once months start passing... You can always wait and see how it goes though especially if you aren't in any pain. In my opinion, it's not too soon but if you feel you're healing then I doubt there's any harm in waiting a while.

Postby TonyStone » 14 Oct 2011, 20:26

Dawn, I have a wife and kid too, that is what kept me going. If I had been single, i don't know how I would have handled it. You just want the pain over so bad. I have never had those kind Of thoughts ever except when the fissure pain came. You know you goto the doc, get no relief and i would cry to my wife "no one cares, I tried to to the right thing and go to the doc". All I could think was I am here barely able to function and the doctor and every other fking person is enjoying their weekend. I Pray I never feel that pain again.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 14 Oct 2011, 21:09

It was horrible and I hope I never do either! I went to the hospital twice, primary care doctor twice, a GI and two CRS's before getting diagnosed and having surgery. It felt very hopeless... Frustration, starvation, so much pain, not to mention losing your dignity. :oops:
I don't wish a fissure upon my worst enemy! I have so much compassion for people going through this. I think that's why I have such a hard time leaving here!
Good to hear you are doing so well and you're happy with your results...And sticking around to share your experience. This forum needs more folks like you!

Postby linda » 15 Oct 2011, 09:46

Thanks for the feedback. I do think you're right, that this thing is not going to heal on it's own. I had a pain free week and now am just a little uncomfortable. I know 1 bad bm and I'm going to be in a mess again. I wish I had the surgery a few weeks ago when things were bad. I just feel weird doing it now when things are better.
I am 47 years old and also married with 2 boys in college. My husband and I should be having the time of our lives right now but I do not feel very sexy, and I'm so sick of talking and thinking about my sore bum!
I'm thankful for this site because you both say exactly what I feel. Please keep it going and I will stick around too. Image
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 15 Oct 2011, 14:46

Hey Linda,
I have read a number of posts in here where others felt like their fissures were behaving and cancelled surgery or had second thoughts. I think that's a pretty normal and a common thought while deciding. You will know when it's time. Mine got really bad in the end after a few decent weeks here and there. I never really had a good week, just some were better than others. I always had the clenching, tight feeling but the shards of glass wasn't steady... I totally understand where you are coming from though. I think fissures play nice and fool us, but eventually rear there ugly heads and remind us they're in charge! Lol ! Image
You will get your sexy back! I was on fire after my two week mark post-op!! hahaha! I guess deprivation made me a little crazy, cause it just didn't happen much in the 8 months I had my fissure. :oops: Image
I have two kids in college too, but was a little crazy and had another 13 years after my last! I now have a 7 year old Image

Postby TonyStone » 15 Oct 2011, 17:27

I too have been making up for lost time, I think I will be at 5 or six times by the end of this weekend. So far my wife is understanding. She is happy about one thing. I have stopped asking for (even though she always said no) any sex involving the back door. I would feel terrible causing a fissure. Sure my wife will be glad i posted this. Not n
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby lurker53 » 16 Oct 2011, 07:59

Linda, I understand completely, I have surgery scheduled for Oct 28 and since then have only had a few problems but overall my fissure(s) are behaving.
Unlike many on here, I was not having awful pain taking a BM but cleaning was what made things mad or if I had a second BM a few hours after the first I would have a slicing pain (not a throbbing spasm) for most of the day.
Less than two weeks from surgery and I am scared to death, having lots of anxiety dreams and it is triggering my fear of abandonment (i.e what if my wife wasn't here for me and I was alone) as well as my insecurities and feeling like a burden.
Yesterday was a one BM day and thanks to Miralax it was smooth as can be. I spent most of the day not even thinking about my butt so now my head is asking "why surgery?" and playing games with me.
Are you going to have the surgery? I an pushing through and doing it but am falling apart slowly as it gets closer.
lurker53
Salt Bather

Topics: 30