First bowel movement after surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

First bowel movement after surgery

Postby Ouch66 » 16 Oct 2011, 18:50

Evening everyone,
After almost 2 years of trying all other methods I finally had LIS 5 days ago. Dr. gave me oxycodone for pain. Which as everyone knows causes constipation. I took stool softners the first few days and on the 4 th day I had the most painfull BM in my life. It was long and almost the size of my wrist. I since then i am still taking a stool softner along with Mirlax..... Question...... Is the first BM the worst or will these last a while. BTW before the BM i thought things were going well with little pain..
Any help or suggestions????
Ouch66

Topics: 1

Re: First bowel movement after surgery

Postby TonyStone » 16 Oct 2011, 19:41

I am 15 days out, no pain with BM yet, you probably font need to take colace if your using Miralax. It's a lot better. I am trying to lower my dose now.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 19:53

Wow Ouch!!! Sorry for your pain!!! Maybe cut back on the oxy's.. and drink more water. I have had a few of those myself, but I still have my fissure and am seriously thinking about the surgery, but you just scared the hell out of me. Then I read Tony's post and no pain. I am trying MOM tonight, I have read all the good posts of miralax, but then I got to a section that said bad side effects, cramping, explosive diarrhea and feeling weird. I am a little apprehensive to use it. Good luck and heal fast.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 20:07

Hi Ouch,
I imagine your bm coming 4 days after surgery caused much of your pain. Stick with the Miralax, eat soft high fiber foods, plenty of water and try to avoid taking too many pain meds.

Postby TonyStone » 16 Oct 2011, 20:24

Sue you can start with a smaller dose and adjust as needed, I have not had any of those side effects. I have farted like a machine and I guess that's from the fiber. I angel gas so much I think it's effecting the temp around Georgia.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Rosa M » 16 Oct 2011, 20:36

I started Miralax the first night after my surgery. That way by the time the first bm csme 3 days later, the Miralax was already in my system and worked to make the bm soft. I havent had any sife affects from it.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 20:39

They give it to babies Sue. It's not a stimulant laxative. It draws water into the bowels, and makes everything softer.
Most of us( I'd say 9 out of 10) have had really awesome results with it.
Tony, it's the fiber, Lol. The fiber one bars are horrible. I call them far* bars :oops: I try to eat them at night, right before bed Image

Postby Ouch66 » 16 Oct 2011, 20:48

so, how soon will I have another BM?
Ouch66

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 21:00

Ouch,
you should be having a BM everyday. It's really important to stick with the fissure diet ( soft, high fiber and avoiding constipating foods or foods that cause harder BM's) along with the Miralax. Did you have a BM every day prior to surgery?
Surgery can slow things down with all the pain meds and GA, but it's very important to keep the diet and having the BM's daily will make a better recovery. They will get harder the longer they set in the colon.

Postby Ouch66 » 16 Oct 2011, 21:19

Yes. I had a BM every morning before surgery. I have been passing gas alot. However as i said in my first post. My first BM was huge. so maybe there needs to be some catching up someplace
Ouch66