Advice to heal without surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Advice to heal without surgery

Postby Jojo1 » 18 Oct 2011, 05:59

Yes, that first week, because I was still constipated, the pain was so bad, I spent 98% of the time in bed. Lots of times I could only get relief with an ice pack in there. About 95% of that time was on ny left side as I am right handed for all cleaning and appying ointkent, etc.
When they found the pe's, I suspected it was caused by that first week. Confirmed in my mind the next day. They did an ultrasound of my legs because though no swelling or pain, they said it was odd to see so many clots in the lungs with no leg symptoms. Ultrasound revealed nothing in the right leg, but clots all through the left. They did all the other clotting testing and found nothing, but are sure that incapcitation did it.
That is the most laid up I have ever been. Not even with two ther surgeries was I that debilitated.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Oct 2011, 11:20

WOW!! That is scary!! I have not had to be in bed although i did miss 3 days of work in June. and laid around the house. Hope you feel better soon.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Jojo1 » 18 Oct 2011, 13:43

I know now that part of the reason I had such trouble that first week (besides the unbelievable pain) was that I was suffering from severe hypokalemia. My doctor had put me on a diuretic that I learned the hard way works by flushing potassium from your system - not the thing to give someone dealing with life-long potassium deficiency issues. Add to that the increased water I was drinking to combat the constipation and . . . you guessed it . . . ER day spa time. Constipation finally broke that Saturday morning and by Sunday afternoon I begged my neighbor to take me to the ER. My potassium was 2.1!!!
They kept me 24 hours feeding me to mega doses of potassium orally plus 2 separate 5-hour IV bags of potassium before it even got up to the bottom of normal.
Sad thing is I had been complaining of dizziness, fatigue, etc. for several weeks before this happened and my doctor assured me the HCT would not cause that.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby dwarfs8 » 18 Oct 2011, 18:35

Sue, don't fast cos it makes things worst. The key is to eat fiber, moderate mat just to keep things going everyday so it's soft. Insoluble fiber is more effective than soluble.
Also did u eat somethig u shldnt? U kept a food diary?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby StevePain » 20 Oct 2011, 04:50

Sue, you really need to get those HUGE stools smaller or at least thinner, Miralax will have the desired effect once it's kicked in, having big stools is a killer, the pain and throbbing after is horrible, I know because I've had some big BM's that have tore me again..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45