Advice to heal without surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice to heal without surgery

Postby Jojo1 » 17 Oct 2011, 04:08

Hello all;
Typing this on my phone, so forgive ant typos. First let me say that while I have no desire to have surgery, I am open to it if necessary. At the moment I still want to try to heal it naturally, surgery would not be an option now, even if I were ready, cuz I am on coumadin for recent pe and dvt and won't be off til Feb.
So, I am on my own until then so I am focusing on healing, not just managing with it. Which brings me to my question . . .
Those of you who healed without LIS . . .
1. What did you do, what worked for you?
2. How long did it take?
3. What stages of healing did you go through?
4. Did you heal completely or are you just managing with it?
I guess I am just asking how did you do it. I know there are some succes stories out there and have been trying tgo search, but there not obvious threads that I have found and I am not familuar enough to search by name or profile.
So far, I am using the nitro ointment, miralax, additional fiber and plenty of water. I soak after each BM and at least twice more during the day. I was applying vit e oil, then a healing salve I found a month ago, but I stopped using it because I wondered if it was doing any good or hindering. I originally starting treating wihtout the oils in July and made good progress for a month, then haf a setback about two months ago and been struggling since. Only difference is the oils, so I went back to the beginning. Lot of contradictions out there and I am lost.
I will say this. I have some burning during bm, but my main discomfort and raw pain start about an hour later and is only when I am upright for several hours. Just seems like I have hit a stall, nit getting better, but not getting worse either.
Really need your advice and appreciate your replies.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Advice to heal without surgery

Postby Guest » 17 Oct 2011, 05:39

Hi Jojo,
Here's a link to an older thread where I asked about "Success without surgery." Hope this helps! I think there was another boaride( tootie) who healed her fissure with the diltiazem after hem surgery. You may want to look into some of her posts.
I noticed that most of the ones(cherylk, firecracker) who healed without surgery on here started the ointments before their fissures became chronic. I didn't start the diltiazem til my fissure was around 5 months...
http://anal-fissure.org/t2350-any-success-without-surgery#50214

Postby alpinestrawberry » 17 Oct 2011, 06:44

Jojo,
It sounds to me like your pattern of pain is typical for an (unfortunately) chronic fissure. The acute ones just hurt like he** during the BM and for hours afterwards; the chronic ones hurt mostly afterwards. Also, just when you think you've beaten it for good, it comes back when you least expect it.
Anything is possible with healing right? I understand why you can't have the surgery right now and I wouldn't want to discourage you from focusing on healing. Is botox a possibility? I know in other countries they put you to sleep for that, but here in the US I think they mainly don't.
It's a tough battle, it really is. If you can get to a good place, my advice would be to keep treating yourself as if you still had the fissure. Forever. That means don't quit the Miralax, don't quit the fiber supplements, don't quit your routine EVER if you can avoid it. In other words, yes, I think it's more likely that you'll be able to manage it rather than heal it. Like I said I don't want to discourage you, I don't mean to! Everyone is different.
Best wishes!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 17 Oct 2011, 06:53

I agree with Alpine. Keep everything up with your routine.
Here's another link where I had some burning but no blood. There's a lot of good info. from other boardies who had experienced the same. I don't want to discourage you either! It's just so hard to heal once they become chronic!!
http://anal-fissure.org/t2376-burning-but-no-blood#50719

Postby dwarfs8 » 17 Oct 2011, 09:20

Hi jojo, u may read my success story from the link below, I almost went for LIS after Many retears but didn't have to as I got better and better. My CRS was very surprised too.
http://anal-fissure.org/t3555-my-success-story?highlight=My+success+story
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby UltrabeaT » 17 Oct 2011, 14:38

im what you call a chronic sufferer to. im just taking two movicol aday, havent had pain since the first sachet. i will continue to take it for a few months until the skin has completely restored itsself, oh im taking vit E too and im sure aloe vera on the spot would work wonders
UltrabeaT
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby Jojo1 » 17 Oct 2011, 15:28

So, if you haven't yad pain since the first sqchet, makes e wonder if the pain im feeling is something in addition to the fissure. I have some stinging while having a bm, but afterward, unless I am lying down, the area feel raw, swollen, burning and almost like it's pulled out of whack for several hours after. I am keeping my stools soft and don't have to push at all beyond a slight nudge to initiate.
I am wondering if I am keeping them too soft for fear of a formed stool.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby dwarfs8 » 17 Oct 2011, 18:01

Hi Jo Jo, how long have u had the fissure and How long did u have this intense pain? I do notice that both ultrabeat n I has similarities. We used vitamins and aloe Vera to heal. In my many posts, I have suggested that too. But of cos I do have others that helped together, do read my success story, alr given u the link
Let me know how long have u suffered this and ur patterns of retears for better assessment.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Jojo1 » 18 Oct 2011, 03:17

Well, the fissure happened last week of june. Diagnosed 1st of july cuz already had appt to discuss five year colonoscopy. July 4th weekend was pure hell, took a week for softeners wnd later miralax (not nentioned til I went back crying in pain) to break through constipation. Next week stll hell, but I was able to function through it could see some omprovement. Next two weeks I steadily improved and began getting back to normal, though still doing softeners, water, fiber, etc. cuz I knew healing takes longer than you just feeling less to no ain.
Then jul 31st went to er with shortness of breath and adm to icu with multiple bilateral pe's. There's no doubt it is de to that first week with the fissure. Even while in hospital had minimal pain duting/after bm qnd no disvomfort during the day.
About two weeks later I had a setback ad have ni idea what caused it. My routine had not changed at all. That weekend was the worst short of the initial tear and that is when this different feeling started.
I can only describe as ut is happening. Just had bm with minimal stinging which subsuded after a couple minutes. Finished and did initial moistwipe to get in tub. In tub with no pain or discomfort. In the courwe of typing to this word, a constant stinging and pain like the area is raw has started. Actually, I feel just the discomfort forward into vaginal area too.
Normally that intensifies and is very distracting by the time I finish. Dry off, lue down to apply nitr ointment and (this morning) aloe gel. The main spadming starts at thispoint when it hapoens (was so bad yesterday I couldn't go to work).
After 20 minutes on my side it subsides, but comes back after five minutes being upright, either sitting or moving around.
Originall would be gone by 9-10 am, but lately its been 2-3pm. I have been so limited in what I eat I just don't know why I cant break through to improve again. Would be in heaven if I could get back to where I was right before this happened.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Oct 2011, 05:19

Hey Jojo
I am sorry you are going through all of this. I totally feel your pain. Did u say the pe's were cause by the first week of your fissure??? Gulp!! I too am having a MAJOR set back. I am barely eating and taking 3 colace at night with gallons of water during the day. This morning was horrific, small hard bm and feel like I am not done. Yesterday I was in so much pain all day and had to work. Not a good day. Today even worse!! I have to work as the person that usually covers me is on vacation. My nifedipine oint is not working anymore. I have read it takes 3 days for Miralax to work, I am wondering if you can take MOM or something with it while waiting for it to work. I had a soda can sized bm last Thursday and has been downhill ever since. I have so much burning, throbbing and pressure and very little blood. So tired of this misery. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36