My surgery experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My surgery experience

Postby Jojo1 » 02 Nov 2011, 00:29

I have depended so much on reading the experienes of others, I wanted to go ahead and start my journal for whatever benefit it may be to others. It's early morning (or late night depending on your outlook), and there's only one thought in my kind at the moment. Will this burning be relieved following LIS? I guess if I understood more how this burn, plus the pain and swelling are related to yhe fisdure it would help, but I guess time will tell.
For those of you who had surgery, did you use anything topical to boost the healing like vitamin e oil, etc.?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: My surgery experience

Postby TonyStone » 02 Nov 2011, 05:18

I haven't used any ointments because I am so tired of putting things in/on my ass but I have started taking a vitamin C capsule. Not sure if it helps so my post may be useless.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2011, 09:30

Same here, I didn't use anything. There really wasn't any need...

Postby Jojo1 » 02 Nov 2011, 10:38

kool, thanks.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby linda » 02 Nov 2011, 16:35

I called my CRS after 4 days because I had an INSANE itch in my butt, which I assumed was the healing. My doctors office told me I could use diaper rash cream Image . Luckily the itch went away before I went back to work so I just kept things clean and dry and never tried it.
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Jojo1 » 03 Nov 2011, 03:53

Well, it's T-11 days before my surgery and here's my thought for the day.
To ward off constipation immediateky following surgery, should I stick with my current regimen or increase for the first couple of dqys? For example, currently taking a dose if Miralax morning and evening. Should I increase that for the first few days till edicines out of my system?
Yeah, thought for the day may be a questiin.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jojo1 » 04 Nov 2011, 06:12

T-10 days and counting. Here's my thought for the day.
This fissure's a sneaky little devil. These past three days since scheduling my surgery (with the exception of a day of tenderness following the exam) have been the least painful and most productive I have had since this nightmare started. It's not gonna trick me into backing out, though. My decision is made.
I suspect my stress level has reduced with just the knowledge and expectation of an end to this misery. That makes sense, doesn't it? I just hope the next week goes just as smoothly.
In the meantime I am preparing for after care. Cat boarding at vet for the first week . . . Check!
Shopping list . . . Miralax, MoM, epsom salts, wipes, fiber sups, fissure friendly foods and lots of water.
Any words of wisdom would be welcome.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 04 Nov 2011, 07:05

Hey Jojo,
You sound very prepared for surgery. I read your post and you really impress me with how you have put this all in perspective. It totally makes sense that your fissure is behaving with you having less stress. It can be a huge relief just knowing there is an end in sight and you have taken control.
Your list sounds perfect. The only thing you may want to add if you haven't already got them is some over the counter pain relievers to take once you decide to stop the prescriptions. For me that was the 2nd night after surgery. I slept right through and wasn't very sore so just took ibuprofen after that. You may want to pick up some cotton and q-tips also just in-case you want to use them for cleaning also. It's really personal preference though.
Good Luck and keep the positive attitude. I think that plays a huge part in our recoveries. I think you're going to do great!

Postby Jojo1 » 06 Nov 2011, 09:38

Well,, it's T-8 days and counting. My fissure is doing a good impression of a healing fissure, but I am not fooled. I am actually looking forward to getting this done, thogh leary of the first few days of recovery . . . til I know my way around the thing.
It's funny, though . . . how I can have BM's my whole life and forget the normal sensations of it after just four months of a fissure. Gonna have to figure out what normal is all over again.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 06 Nov 2011, 09:49

Hi Jojo,
Good luck with your surgery. It is quite true about what you said in your post that we took our BMs for granted, and now it is every darn thing about going to the loo is anal-ized...Would be nice to be 'normal' again, and I wish it for you...and for me too, one of these fine days.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222