Decision Time

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Decision Time

Postby aeg » 09 Nov 2011, 14:21

I saw my CRS today who said my fissure is still there and recommended surgery. Of course, he made it sound like no big deal-said I would only need 1 or 2 days to recover and I could resume all normal activity the day of my surgery. So now, I have to make the decision. What I am struggling with is:
1) I have been dealing with this on and off for 7 months, how much longer can I take it?
2) Right now, I am not having much pain at all with almost no spasms, so do I really need surgery?
3) I'm only 30 and don't want to be incontinent the rest of my life
4) I'm afraid if I don't have surgery and think I have healed it, it will just re-tear, like it did before.
I know surgery is a totally personal decision, really just venting my worries and frustrations. Thanks for letting me!!
aeg
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Decision Time

Postby linda » 09 Nov 2011, 15:07

There are so many different stories of surgery and recovery here which I am sure you have read. I can tell you that your story sounds similar to mine. My trouble started in the begining of summer. I never bleed just bad pain. When I finally got to a CRS we tried diltiazem for 6 weeks and things did get better but not great. He said I would not heal without the surgery and it would just keep tearing. My doctor also made it sound like no big deal (which actually was good for me, in a way it made me less nervous Image ). The days before surgery I wasn't in alot of pain and I had my doubts but I am so glad I did it. I have had no leakage after surgery, not even gas leaks.
Your right that surgery is a personal decision. I can't tell you how many nights I just sat here reading post after post with tears rolling down my face thinking "what am I going to do?". This site is amazing and so packed full of knowledge. There is no harm in waiting till your ready and you will know when the time is right. Good luck.
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Sue1962 » 09 Nov 2011, 17:20

I am kind of in the same boat. I am scheduled to see my CRS for consultation on 12/1/11 and was in severe pain for 2 weeks. It seems as though now things are starting to heal. Just some itching and burning, but not the severe spasms of cutting glass with BM's. I have had my fissure for 3 years..It was bad for weeks in 2008, went away and never came back for a year and a half. Then back this past May and oh my what a long miserable summer it has been. I would just get to the point of being healed and it would rip again. So I am keeping the appt in December and hopefully he will recommend surgery and I am doing it. I want to live a normal life again. I have a very high pain tolerence but fissure pain is crazy. I am just very anxious about the whole thing and want it over and done with. I figure, I have been mostly miserable for 6 months and the post op pain can't be as bad as the fissure pain. This forum has helped me keep my sanity on bad days, lots of good advice and a few laughs as well.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby aeg » 10 Nov 2011, 09:23

Thanks for your responses Linda and Sue, I appreciate it very much!
Linda, how long ago was your surgery? Are you feeling 100% healed? I sure hope you have had a quick and easy recovery and feel you have your life back!!
Sue, I just met with my CRS yesterday. I am guess that yours will for sure recommend surgery. When I asked mine if I am a candidate his response was, "You have a fissure, of course you are a candidate." I agree with you about wanting to live a normal life. It is hard to keep up with the baths, meds, diet, etc. I have decided to give it two more weeks and see if I continue to have considerable improvement. If not, my CRS has some available dates before the end of the year for surgery. I can't think of a better way to start the new year than not having to worry about/discuss my butt any longer!! Best of luck to you!
aeg
Fibre Addict

Postby fissurepaingy » 10 Nov 2011, 11:19

Hey aeg,
The surgery is totally worth it. My CRS acted like a few days as well, but that simply wasn't the case. I mean, I wasn't in excrucating pain or anything at all like that, but I knew the surgery site wasn't healed and that it was best to lay low for a bit. I had my Fissurectomy/LIS/Fistula surgery back on August 11th. But I recently had to have a 2nd surgery as my fistula wasn't healing properly! So, it's NOTHING like when I lived with the godawful fissure anymore... now I'm just dealing with this pesky itchy fistula and hoping it heals right this time. But don't be nervous about the surgery, be sure to have a well experienced CRS perform it and you should be good :)
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby linda » 10 Nov 2011, 14:51

Hi aeg,
It will be 3 weeks tomorrow for me and I can say I'm at 90%. There is still a little itch but no pain at all. The fissure pain was actually gone immediatley. I am also keeping up with the fiber and miralax to keep healing.
One important point that fissurepaingy made in the post above...my CRS also said I could resume normal activity the day after surgery, it's even in my post-op instructions!!! I had LIS on a Friday and took the next week off. I took it easy till Tuesday then felt really good so I decided to go out and do a little shopping. BAD IDEA! That night I starting getting these zings in my butt and it went on for 2 hours straight. I took it easy the rest of the week and was good to go back to work the following Monday, 10 days later. I also had LIS only, nothing else.
Hey Fissurepaingy, I hope you feel better soon Image
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby aeg » 11 Nov 2011, 10:25

Thanks again, Linda. I have a nearly 10-month-old that I will have to take care of, so it's good to know how much help I may need if I decide to have the surgery. I'm glad that you are feeling so much better!
aeg
Fibre Addict