New to the site. Increased Pain after Exam.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the site. Increased Pain after Exam.

Postby Goma » 12 Nov 2011, 23:02

Hello all! I was really happy to find this website after freaking out the other day after having been to the doctor. Here is the story of my nightmare. My problems all began because I was prescribed an antibiotic for another problem. The antibiotic basically wrecked my system and got rid of all the good bacteria. I had massive diarrhea followed by constipation. I got a yeast infection after I had finally rid myself of chronic yeast infections for six consecutive months from another antibiotic nightmare. I told the doctor my rear end was also bothering me. He said it might be hemorrhoids or a fissure and gave me a referral. The weird thing was, that the referral was to a general surgeon, but he said this is where I needed to go. The first doctor didn't even look at me.
So, I trusted the doctor and went because I was still experiencing pain with bowel movements, but I wasn't seeing as much blood as I had weeks before. I thought I was slowly getting better, but I wanted it checked out. The doctor gave me a rectal exam that hurt like hell, and he kept poking me even though I was screaming. He told me I indeed had an anal fissure, duh. Then he told me I was going to have surgery and should have it next week! This is the first person that had ever looked at me! I asked him if there was any way it could go away on its own, and he said he'd never seen that in his 30 years of practicing. After he left the room, a quick Google search told me that wasn't true. I left the place in tears and went home did a little research online and bought psyllium fiber and I've been taking sitz baths religiously since and taking my fiber. I also have been eating nothing but veggies and beans. The next morning after the exam, my rear hurt worse than it had this whole time and now there is a bump outside that wasn't there before. He made it a thousand times worse and now I'm so worried I will have to have surgery. I don't want to go back to that doctor though. So, do you think I should just keep treating this at home, or I should make an appointment with another doctor? I really don't want to have surgery already. I've been dealing with this particular problem for about three weeks now. I really felt like it was getting better until the doctor wrecked it. I don't think he knew what he was doing. I have lost all faith in the medical profession. It took so much courage for me to get myself to go in there, and now I felt like I made a huge mistake by going.
I will be doing a lot of traveling this month and next which really worries me. I really wasn't freaking out until I met with that doctor, but now I can't stop thinking about the thought of having surgery, and it feels worse than ever. I'm so stressed out! I can't believe such a small problem could cause so much pain and trouble! Image
Goma
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: New to the site. Increased Pain after Exam.

Postby sputnik » 13 Nov 2011, 00:43

hi goma, sorry what your going through. I'm learning myself and you read alot of post here and learn. From what i've learned 3 weeks its still in acute phase and can heal. After 6 weeks it gets chronic and harder to heal. Doing the sitz baths and fiber and no pushing on bowel movements. I also seen a general surgeon who hurt me too. For this problem we have to see a crs and i haven't as its hard here, the waiting timne is very long. I hope you get better. I've had mine 8 weeks.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby dwarfs8 » 13 Nov 2011, 00:46

i totally sympathise with u! My first digital examination was by a blood nasty GP who doesn't even want to look at me during consultation. All he did was asked me to tell me what it is while he was looking at the computer screen the whole time and typing whatever prescription etc. I was crying in great pain from his examination and he didn't even pick me up from the bed. He just say "oh ya, u do have a fissure". Seriously, i nearly wanted to write a complaint letter to the medical society, but i was in pain for months, thus i reckon nvm, the doc will have karma next time! It makes me wonder, why the hell is he a doctor in the first place?? There's no compassion at all! He's worse off then those who isn't a doc! Sigh...
That surgeon u went to seriously doesn't have a brain, or probably a pee brain. When it's painful, obviously u don't wanna make it worse! I THANK GOD i finally settled for a wonderful CRS, after having been misdiagnosed by a couple of useless GPs. This CRS was willing to work thru with me on the conservative methods (seriously, no one can make u go thru surgery if you don't wanna). Being as a typical surgeon, he did ask me if i want to go thru conservative treatments first. I said yes, upon the 2nd review, he suggested LIS. I asked him, "is it possible to ever heal by myself??". He said yes hesitantly but slim. Well, being the stubborn/determined me, i said ok, i want to try. SOOooo.... i did healed/almost healed from my last consultation in Apr. So, don't believe everything the CRS said. He didn't see anyone healing naturally, doesn't mean it's impossible for everyone out there!
U will know when u r ready for surgery. When u can't take it anymore and surgery is the last resort, take it. THere are many ppl better off here on the board.
If u r like me, keen on conservation treatments, do read up the thread "my success story" for more ideas.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Goma » 13 Nov 2011, 11:16

Sputnik- Thanks for your reply. I think I will try to call a CRS on Monday, but yeah I'm worried that it will take too long to get in and my fissure will be chronic by then. :( I had to wait a while just to see the general surgeon.
Dwarfs8- Your experience with doctors sound very similar to mine and terrible. I've thought about writing a complaint as well. That's awesome that you're almost healed though after going through all that trouble. That means their is still hope for me. Reading your post made me feel a bit better.
I saw on your mood on your profile that you said you hurt yourself because you had too much fiber.... I'm really confused about this because I thought I was supposed to get more fiber. I've been taking fiber supplements for the past couple of days and eating nothing but beans and veggies, but now it's making me go more which is causing more pain. So, is there a limit to how much fiber I should be taking in?
Goma
Fibre Addict

Postby sputnik » 13 Nov 2011, 11:45

hi goma. Maybe your taking too much fiber as why your going lots and too much sometimes can make your stool big and bulky and retear the fissure. I checked around internet and daily amount is about 25 grams of fiber. I take metamucil once daily and sometimes my bm's are alittle bulky but i have chrons or colitis and don't want to try just anything else. I also eat some fiber foods daily but not too much as the metamucil has 12 grams in one dose. You have test and see what is best for you.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Postby sputnik » 13 Nov 2011, 11:49

forgot to mention you must also drink plenty of water
sputnik
Salt Bather

Postby Goma » 13 Nov 2011, 12:02

Thanks Sputnik. Which metamucil are you taking? The one with the fruit fiber (psyllium) or the wheat one? My metamucil says it only has 3 grams of fiber per serving. I have noticed softer bm's since taking it, but yes, also bulkier, which is a bit of a problem. I have had problems with IBS and constipation in the past, so I've never quite been regular which is why I thought I should take the metamucil. Maybe I am not drinking enough water. I have been drinking more than usual, but I never drink much water, so that's probably still not enough.
Goma
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Nov 2011, 12:17

Hi Goma, I would try and get to see another CRS. I am under the general surgical team at a hospital, but am being treated by a CRS. I was only put with the CRS after being admitted to hospital, it took them 2 months to diagnose my fissure. There are treatments you can try before surgery, such as the cream. Plus doing what others have mentioned, such as sitz baths (although be careful as this didn't help with thrush type problems with me!), eating some fibre. I have IBS, tried fybogel and it totally disagreed with me. I am taking lactulose (though others on this site don't seem to like using it, it works for me). Plus take docusate sodium last thing at night. You can also try botox (although many here say this doesn't work). I am due to have botox injections next week after a 3 month wait. So there are options before you have to have surgery, I'm lucky in that the surgical team I am under want to try other methods before surgery, they told me it is a last resort. Plus you have a good chance of healing without as you have caught it in time!! Give it a go, I am on rectogesic - not sure where you are, this is what is prescribed in the uk. Good luck! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Goma » 13 Nov 2011, 13:05

Sue27uk- Thanks for your message! Is docusate sodium something that's over the counter or prescription? I'm living in the United States. I did a lot of googling today and found an in-network CRS I would like to see. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning (as they are closed today), and hopefully they can get me in. I would like to start on some of these medicines like the cream you mentioned as soon as possible.
Goma
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2011, 22:14

Hey Goma,
The ointments you may be prescribed in the US are Diltiazem, Nitro or Nifedipine for fissures. As mentioned already they can be helpful and possibly heal your fissure.
Docusate sodium is sold over the counter here in the US. It's name brand is Colace. As Sue said many folks on here didn't have very good results with it, myself included and use Miralax. It can be tricky figuring out the right stool softener and fiber that will work but that will be the key to healing with or without medical intervention!
Good Luck! :)