anyone switched from lactulose to movicol

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

anyone switched from lactulose to movicol

Postby fairy » 18 Nov 2011, 06:52

anyone switched from lactulose to movicol....having to take 150ml of lactulose to help is movicol better? plus how did you change?
fairy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: anyone switched from lactulose to movicol

Postby alpinestrawberry » 18 Nov 2011, 07:30

Hi fairy, I read your other post too, and I'm so sorry you're in so much pain!
I never took lactulose but the general consensus on this forum is that movicol is the best thing to use. It is very effective and I think it will be helpful to you to try switching. Also, anoheal doesn't seem to help a lot of people (someone correct me if I'm wrong)--rectogesic should help the muscle to relax which should relieve some of your pain.
It is very difficult--before I had the surgery I was in near-constant pain. I had nitro ointment (like rectogesic) and to be honest, the Miralax (movicol) I was taking was more effective for me than the ointment. Also a lot of people find that they can hardly walk around when they have a fissure, but for me taking a walk really stopped the burning pain. Even yoga was helpful.
I have kids too, three daughters aged 11, 9, and 5.5. It's hard when you're always putting your kids/husband first, but you've got to find a way to take time for yourself. This isn't the sort of thing you necessarily want to tell the neighbors about. I didn't even tell my mom because she's blabby and I didn't want the world to know. I had a sympathetic aunt who came with me on surgery day so my husband could be home for the kids (surgery for me was an hour away from home).
Do you have a best friend or a relative you could ask to watch your kids while you see a doctor? Honestly I do think surgery will be your best bet for healing this, since it's chronic. And many of us, including myself, have found that the recovery is far easier than dealing with the fissure! BM's following the surgery are immediately less painful, at least they were for me (I just had LIS, not fissurectomy or skin tag removal though).
Good luck, I hope you can make some changes and get the pain under control!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: anyone switched from lactulose to movicol

Postby Iona » 20 Nov 2011, 13:50

Hi Fairy,
I have not used lactulose, but Movicol has totally sorted me out.
I have not had pain when passing or after since taking it (exception being when i forgot to take it for a couple of days when I went away for a weekend - then a retear happened) but i went back on and the pain was gone again straight away.
It has an odd effect on your stools, lots of wind for me too but my god is it worth it. I feel like a normal person again!
Also I saw a kid on the Embarrasing bodys program with a fissure and the doc on there recommended it and sha bang it worked.
Its not a cure - maybe int he long long term? - but helps so much in the mean time.
good luck,
Iona
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9