New to forum- advice on recovery from surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum- advice on recovery from surgery

Postby slowprocess » 27 Nov 2011, 14:23

Hi to everyone- what a great support this is. I have had the surgery LIS and AF repair with tag removed 2 1/2 weeks ago. Was wondering how long it takes before no pain during and after a BM? Image
slowprocess

Topics: 2

Re: New to forum- advice on recovery from surgery

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Nov 2011, 06:42

Hey slowprocess
Dawn had LIS with a tag removal..check her threads out. She has lots of great info!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby TonyStone » 28 Nov 2011, 10:26

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I never did have any pain after a BM, but things seem to improve for most people in the 2nd and 3rd week.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2011, 19:31

Hey Slow process. Sorry to hear you are having painful bm's still. I'm not sure what you mean about having your fissure repaired? If you mean you had a fissurectomy , then that could be the reason you are still having painful bm's. It can take a little longer depending on what kind of work was exactly done in that area. I had the skin tag removed and my fissure cauterized with my LIS, and was sore but didn't really have painful bm's since the day of my surgery. That's not always the case for everyone though. Many folks take a little longer than I and Tony did.
If you don't mind me asking or saying- just in-case you aren't already, it's really important to stick with a fissure safe diet, stool softeners and water while recovering. I understand you probably already know this too, but just wanted to be on the safe side and mention that you still need to avoid any foods that could cause harder or scratchy bm's while healing too.
Hang in there! It takes about 6 weeks for the fissure and the tag to completely heal. Lots of warm baths, stay off your bottom and patience! :)

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2011, 14:48

At the 2 and a half week mark I wouldn't expect miracles but things should gradually improve, if you had the Fissurectomy which I did then it could take over a year unless you heal quickly, just take it one day at a time, these things cannot be rushed!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby slowprocess » 04 Dec 2011, 16:26

thanks a bunch to everyone. I had my 3 week appt with my CRS recently= he said everything is pretty much healed- hard to believe!. I really don't have any pain during a BM- it seems to come about 45 min after, I do my sitz bath and shower wand routine and lay back down for a while. he said it was my diet, and gave me some cream- said it would help the burning. in reading some of the previous posts, I think it must be some leakage, which is causing the burning. I still do have brownish discharge on the guaze pad- such an ordeal and uncomfortable wearing a guaze pad all day!. any more advice on how to deal with this issue? I think my diet is ok- stools are very soft and kinda messy, as I am so worried about an issue- I eat pretty much the same thing every day- I did have the fissureoctomy, LIS and tag removed.
slowprocess

Topics: 2

Postby letitsnow » 08 Jan 2012, 15:15

I am at the 3 week mark after my surgery 12/15. I wanted to know how you are doing now? I am having pain & burning with & after every bm. And this morning I had fresh blood. I have a follow up appt. with my surgeon tomorrow so I will ask him about that since I haven't had any since a few days after surgery so I am really concerned. I just don't think I am healing like I should. Like you it has been a really slow process for me. So I am really interested to know how you have healed in the last few weeks.
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2012, 18:11

I just wanted to add a little information here about the irritation. Many of us here who have experienced the irritation also had the tag removal with our LIS. I believe it was Bambi (another boardie) was told by her CRS that the area could take up to a year to become strong again where it doesn't get irritated so easily. I agree with that 100% from the experience I've had myself. Any leakage at all and I mean a speck would cause that area to burn after my surgery. That slowwwwwly improved after my surgery. I am 14 months post-op and once in a blue moon it will get some irritation still if I'm walking for hours shopping, etc.

Postby letitsnow » 09 Jan 2012, 16:54

Well, I saw my surgeon this morning and the news was not good. He examined me with a scope and it was very painful but he was able to insert the scope into me unlike before the surgery!!!
He said he could see the fissure and it just wasn't healing like it should be at this point in time. So I wasn't imaging it...the pain I have isn't normal after 3 weeks postop from reading others posts I didn't think it was.
He isn't sure if it is because of my Sjogren's Syndrome or what, he was truly baffled!!! I just wanted to cry!!!
To make a long story short he gave me an RX for some cream and told me to come back in two weeks and we would go from there ( maybe another surgery Image YIKES!!!).
When I went to the pharmacy the pharmacist said he really didn't understand the order since it was a pill not an ointment yadda yadda yadda. So he called the doctor's office...all he got was an answering machine. So right now I am waiting to hear from the pharmacy or doctor's office on my prescription on the mystery ointment. So not a good day.
I just feel like I have a huge black rain cloud over my head 24/7 and it justs keeps pouring!!! Image
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 09 Jan 2012, 21:34

Hey Snow,
I'm just a little surprised that a CRS would use a scope since you are so early in recovery. OMG, you poor thing! :roll: I really don't think I could have tolerated that and I had a really good recovery IMO... Even so, my
fissure still didn't heal completely until around 6 weeks post-op. I was told to expect that Image Excruciating pain with bm's after 3 weeks post-op doesn't seem to be of the norm though. Image
I wonder if the ointment that was prescribed is Diltiazem. Mine had to be made at a special compound pharmacy...
Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but I would no way in h*ll have another surgery until you have had plenty of time to recover from this one. I would definitely get more answers and maybe even a second opinion if things don't start to turn around pretty soon.
Have you experienced any spasms since your surgery?
Take care hon, hang in there! Image