Surgery Complete!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery Complete!

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 30 Nov 2011, 11:40

Dawn, I can have warm baths, but I have well water that has tested for bacteria in the past, has high sulfur content, and is treated with a salt water softener... so I'm worried that I'll end up with an infection, or burning from the salt. However, I do have one of those sitz bath things that fits on the toilet, so I've been using that with warm bottled water.
I didn't think of the frozen peas, but I just t so happened to buy a bag at the store last week... I'm going to give those a try. I think that if I can get the swelling down, I might be able to have a BM.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2011, 14:56

Well, I'm not sure about the bacteria in the well water either Image I know salt ,like Epsom salt and table salt doesn't burn though...
Sometimes just the pressure from sitting on the sitz bath aren't really good for swelling but you gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes...Lol
The peas will help the swelling. I can't remember exactly how long you're suppose to apply it but I think it's something like 15-20 minutes and then leave off for xx amount of time. It's been awhile since my surgery but I think Bambi had it in a post. I'll look for it or my post-op instructions are somewhere around here....

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 01 Dec 2011, 11:47

Day 3: After 2 hours in a sitz bath, I was able to remove the last of the external packing. My CRS didn't use internal packing, so I thought it was swelling around the skin tag removal site. Boy I wish they had shaved me down there! Now that the packing is all gone, I feel a lot less pressure and pain. Stopped the Vicodin last night and switched to Advil. The Advil seems to work much better than the narcotic pain meds; which made me feel out of it, seem to have constipated me, but did not stop the pain down there. If I were to start over, I would have passed on the Vicodin and went for NSAIDs.
Still waiting for first BM, and thinking that an enema may be needed. Post-op instructions call for #8 soft French catheter, but none of my local pharmacies have them in stock and the nearest one that does is 40 miles away (hate living in the country at times like these). I do have fleet enemas, but I am scared to death to put anything hard in there, for fear of dong damage to the three incisions.
Other than the BM issue, I feel pretty good for 48 hours out.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 14:57

Glad your feeling pretty good!!! Everyone on here says the same thing about the pain meds. Thinking I am just gonna do 800mg of Advil!!! Maybe try some MOM and see if that helps to get things moving. 3 incisions?? one for the skin tag, LIS and what else? Keep soaking and rest!!! hope you feel better with everyday!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 01 Dec 2011, 15:49

Thanks, Sue. The third incision is from the fissurectomy.
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 15:59

Whew, you had a lot of work done!! no wonder your so sore... You are a trooper!!! Feel better soon Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36