Help i have an appointment tomorrow to see a CRS

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Help i have an appointment tomorrow to see a CRS

Postby fishandchips » 01 Dec 2011, 11:26

Hi all, i am pretty new to this site but have posted once before,
I have had lots of pain for about 5 months now, don't know whether it's Hemmies or Fissure aswell. I have been waiting for an appointment for about 6 weeks and have pestered a bit to get seen sooner, however today i had a call to say could i attend a cancelation tomorrow, i have no idea what to expect. Would be greatfull for a bit of advise, :oops: Thanks in advance...............
fishandchips
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Help i have an appointment tomorrow to see a CRS

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 01 Dec 2011, 12:15

While all CRSs may do things differently, you will most likely have a consult, and rectal exam. Though this is not comfortable, it is the first step in getting a correct diagnosis and the treatment you need.
On your first visit, the CRS will likely offer some form of conservative treatment, (that should give you some relief from the pain and discomfort) with a follow up to see if your condition,, whatever it turns out to be, has improved.
Give yourself plenty of time to get to the appointment, take any enemas, if required by CRS, and a sitz bath to relax things down there. If you can, have a friend or family member go with you; I was anxious about my first visit, and having my wife with me was a great help. Most importantly: keep in mind that this is the first step to gaining hope, and getting better!
Good luck, you will do fine!
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby StevePain » 01 Dec 2011, 14:01

Since you and I are both in the UK and not that far away either, I would think that your exam will be pretty much the same as mine was, firstly, I was asked about the pain and what it felt like and what my BM's were like, either soft or hard, then I was asked to climb on the bed and had a rectal examination, this is quite uncomfortable but will give a correct diagnosis, I was then prescribed some Diltiazem for 6 weeks and told to come back to see if there was any improvement, in my case, there wasn't so I got booked in for surgery. Bottom line is, don't worry about seeing your CRS, it is a positive step to make things better.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Sue1962 » 01 Dec 2011, 14:50

Hey there fishandchips,
I as we speak just walked in the door from my first appt with the CRS...I was all freaked out and anxious, all for nothing. Basically what Steve said, get your history, answers questions, and does an exam. Piece of cake. The exam was a bit uncomfortable, he did not stick anything in, just spread it open and looked around...
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby fishandchips » 01 Dec 2011, 15:18

Ahh thanks all of you for answering some of my worries, i'm dreading it but also relieved to be seeing someone who will hopefully be able to help me, cheers again guys Image
fishandchips
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dwarfs8 » 01 Dec 2011, 19:10

don't worry, it shouldn't be too painful. If the CRS knows what he is doing, he will be just spreading apart ur part cheeks, unless when he does so and he couldn't see that you have any fissure, he may give you a protoscope.
You can always ask him to stop if u are feeling too much pain, DON"T ever be like me when i first got this fissure, i once almost passed out in pain from the hands of a SUPER IRRESPONSIBLE UNCOMPASSIONATE GP
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19