Post-op Day 5: Up and Running

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post-op Day 5: Up and Running

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 03 Dec 2011, 10:32

Well, maybe not running, but things are moving!
With a little help from Miralax, and a lot of encouragement from forum members, my bowls and sphincter 2.0 are now cooperating.
Now, I will not say that I feel 100%, but it is a great relief to conquer the anxiety of learning to do that most basic of human functions again. The first BM felt like I ate a bowl of razors for dinner (keep in mind that I didn't go for 3 days, had LIS, fissrectomy, and tag removal), and the second... like I had a digital exam without lube . Today, no worse than going before surgery, except for one major difference; a quick sitz bath, and the pain rapidly subsided; whereas before, I would have been in spasm for the next 8-12 hours.
I think there is a learning curve to going post LIS. I seem to have found a good body posture , and while twenty years ago, I hated every minute of attending lamas classes with my wife, I'm glad I at least stayed awake for the breathing technique part... as breathing seems to be crucial!
As for pain, discontinued Vicodin on day 3 and switched to Advil. For me, Vicodin didn't control pain down there, it just made me, and for that matter, my bowls... not give a sh@t! Advil doesn't make me pain free, but it does take the edge off, and seems to reduce the swelling around the 3 incisions. In addition to pain meds, I was taking Valium; while this did make watching an endless supply of movies far more interesting; it also helped to relieve some of my anxiety about first BM, and enabled me to sleep. Now that I know what to expect , having had multiple BMs, and this being day 5, I have decided to discontinue the Valium.
In the incontinence department: I hope I don't jinx myself, but nothing yet. Passed quite a bit of gas, but I was well aware of it in advance and had no trouble controlling it... ashamed to say, but it felt GREAT! I may be singing a different tune when the swelling subsides!
So far, while it was not an easy choice to have LIS, and yes, the recovery is not a walk in the park (especially that first BM, and having to constantly jam cotton balls where the sun don't shine), I am glad I made the decision to have this done. While each persons circumstances are different; if you are suffering from a chronic fissure, LIS is definitely something to consider. If fear of the surgery is the only thing holding you back, don't let it... I had only one phobia in life, surgery, but trust me, after the fact, knowing what I know now; I would not have had any reservations. :D
Jay
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Post-op Day 5: Up and Running

Postby Away PITA! » 03 Dec 2011, 19:18

Great report Jay! Keep taking it easy. Glad you are on the road to recovery!
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Jojo1 » 07 Dec 2011, 12:55

You're on the other side. Glad things are "going" relatively smoothly now.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby Deleted User 579 » 07 Dec 2011, 15:52

Hey, Jay! Congratulations on the smooth going! You are definitely right about the importance of breathing. That's crucial for me. Great report and excellent advice. Other boardies will really benefit from your experiences. Thanks for sharing! I hope you enjoy increasingly painless and satisfying BMs. :D
Deleted User 579