Help with timing of Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help with timing of Miralax

Postby Sue1962 » 12 Dec 2011, 06:18

Hello all, looking for more advice. I have been taking Miralax since last Wednesday. I was taking 1 tsp to start, but have since increased to a capful at 10:00pm before bed. I love the results much better than the MOM as I am only going 1-2 times upon waking, but my problem is, I still really have to push to get things going the first time, by the time the urge hits again usually 15-20 minutes later, it just slides out. I am not sure if taking it earlier like at 5 would help??? or I am just anxious about going and heading to the bathroom a bit too soon?? Any suggestions would be helpful. Sorry if this is TMI, I am just trying to get to the point of not pushing before surgery in 4 weeks...This is so frustrating Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Help with timing of Miralax

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2011, 08:27

Hey Sue,
I'm interested to know the same thing. I never push but, I take the deep breaths and I'll go just a little the first time and like you when I go the second time, things just slide out. I'm not sure if we are super sensitive to the urge to go and are going to early... Image
All that I can tell you is things are a lot looser down there after LIS. Especially in the beginning! Things do seem to flow out a lot easier, so I doubt you'll have to push.
I'm not sure if the beginning just isn't caused by the drier part of the BM that sets in the colon the longest?! I've also thought about if I am so hell bent on not pushing that I'm not relaxing enough or if we should be pushing just a little?! Image
I wish some of the oldies who are long time Miralax users were in here and could add their 2 cents! Image

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Dec 2011, 09:47

Hi gals - i know what you are talking about. That sometimes happens to me too. I found, though, that things got more regular and easier the longer I took the Miralax. I was also taking it twice a day - one 1/2 capful in the morning and other 1/2 capful in the evening. We are all different, so this may not work for you. It does take some tinkering to find what works.
I think Dawn's right that the stool can be a bit drier; but I also think that maybe the first BM can be a bit difficult because the colon is probably still just waking up (my colon is like me - it takes me forever to wake up in the morning!). I find either a hot or cold drink helps stimulate the system, and walking around, stretching and so on, gets things moving so that the first movement comes a bit easier.
BTW, Sue, there is no such thing as TMI here! Image I've written detailed descriptions of every different kind of stool - I'm developing a new genre of literature: poo poetry. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Sue1962 » 12 Dec 2011, 11:59

LOL....Thanks Dawn & Hope!! I thought I was the only one having these problems even with the Miralax. Don't get me wrong I love the Miralax!!! Just wish I didn't have to push so hard to get things going Image I have tried the deep breathing and almost feel like I am going to hyperventilate Image LOL. I think I am anxious about the whole poop thing and I just can't relax enough. Thankfully, I am like a clock, up at 6 everyday, 16 oz of water as soon as my feet hit the floor, a cup of coffee and a cigarette(yeah I know not good) and I am in the bathroom..I think I will wait til I am about to poop on myself and see if that works...LOL Image today I am going to take it just after 5 with prune juice to see if that helps, if not I will try dividing the dose like you Hope. Thanks again girls...you always come to my rescue!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Dec 2011, 14:15

LOL - I've almost hyperventilated a few times too! And I do enjoy my morning coffee and cigarette (I'm also bad :oops: ) :D I think you're right that anxiety can interfere with the BM process. I'm sure that was happening in my case. It's only been in the last little while that I've been able to relax and go with the flow, so to speak. :D
I really hope you find a system that work you.
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2011, 17:30

Well, that makes three of us who are bad :oops: Image
Diet Dr. Pepper or unsweetened tea with a cigarette every morning Image
I probably scare the neighbors because this is how I wake up before I can do anything... I also wake about 30 minutes earlier than anyone in my house because all I want is silence for the first half hour! Image

Postby Sue1962 » 13 Dec 2011, 06:30

Well, we are all bad Image so this morning was a little better. I did the miralax at 8 last night and just waited and waited til the poop was just about to play peek a boo with my robe :oops: no pushing, just a few deep breaths and success Image hopefully, this things will continue this way!!! no spasms for 2 days and no advil!!! I am sure my liver is thanking me as well. Dr said I have to quit taking it 10 days before surgery, but I wanted to get a few weeks without it....Oh I hope this continues until my surgery
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Dec 2011, 08:55

Yay Sue! Image Way to go! And no spasms. That's wonderful!
Dr Pepper and a smoke?? Wow, Dawn - that's different! Image
Sue, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes very nicely until your surgery.
Deleted User 579

Postby Sue1962 » 13 Dec 2011, 11:54

Hey Hope, thanks and yes I was very pleased. It's amazing how good you feel with no pain, spasms. I almost forgot what it felt like to be "normal" I have fingers and toes crossed!! that this continues. My only fear is, if I am doing well at the time of surgery, I hope my CRS still does the LIS..we are driving almost 2 hours and I am going to tell him to do it regardless. I know too well, how you can go 2 steps forward and 10 back!! and 3 years on/off suffering is way too long.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby deedee1 » 23 Feb 2012, 18:42

I just bought LaxaClear (Costco Kirkland Brand) of Miralax. Only $23.29 for 90 once a day doses! I will let you all know how its works. Sounds crazy to say that I cant wait to see how things are in the morning. :D
deedee1