Sugery on Friday and I want to back out!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Sugery on Friday and I want to back out!

Postby FinnsMom » 29 Dec 2011, 00:06

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a few weeks. I went to a new CRS on the 19th, he told me I still have both a posterior AND anterior fissures. He offered to do Botox or LIS so I opted for LIS, I thought what was the point in "trying out" Botox after dealing with this for almost 16 months? Well for the last 3 weeks or so, I've had almost no pain during BMs and only slight pain for a few hours afterward. So now I'm doubting my decision and not wanting to go through with it. After having no pain for so long, I don't want to willingly put myself in pain again.
The CRS really has me worried about not controlling my gas, he said that since I had a baby and tore my muscles could be weaker down there. He said it was only about a 6% chance but I'm still scared. If that happens is it permanent or just a temporary thing?
You guys I've never been so scared or unsure of myself in my life. I just want to call and say I'm not coming but I'm afraid my fissures are just playing games with me. Am I doing the right thing?
FinnsMom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Sugery on Friday and I want to back out!

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2011, 00:23

Hey FinnsMom,
I totally understand your fears. I was in the twilight zone before having my surgery. I really think we let our minds go a little too crazy over this surgery. It really was nothing like I expected!! OMG, I could almost laugh about what I expected and what it really was now!
I really think you are going to be surprised with how much easier it really is than we all imagine!
It is very common for a fissure to behave but just keep in mind you have had this thing for 16 months and it is way past the chronic phase. You are definitely doing the right thing at this point and will finally be taking control of this situation and healing after suffering for so long.
I can tell you I have no problems holding gas at 14 months post-op. They will slip out easier in the beginning but it will get better. They were always pretty silent when they did slip out early post-op :oops: So it wasn't like anyone knew but me.
I had 4 babies prior to having this surgery and stitches with a couple of them in that area- if that makes you feel any better. I'm also 41 years old... I'm not sure if that's your CRS's personal statistics of gas incontinence with his patients? Mine never gave me any as far as gas but I did ask about fecal incontinence and she said never...

Postby val » 29 Dec 2011, 09:21

I totally agree with Dawn! I'm 44, had two kids, had stitches with the second birth, and I wanted to back out of it and tell myself it would get better! But fissures tend to behave themselves then return with a vengeance. The surgery is, like Dawn says, nothing like the horror that you are expecting (and I'm the biggest wimp ever!!!)
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby FinnsMom » 29 Dec 2011, 14:00

Thanks Dawn, thanks Val! You guys made me feel a little less scared.
My husband keeps reminding me that I'm making the right decision and that my fissures always do this up and down roller-coaster ride but I still am unsure since my pain has been gone for so long now. I actually wish things down there would hurt and make me feel like I'm making the right choice. Stupid, I know lol.
FinnsMom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2011, 20:07

Your husband is so right... Just think about what you said above hon- "Only slight pain for a few hours after a BM."
That will all be a thing of the past once you get the surgery and really heal!!
You're not the first to say you wish things were hurting more before the surgery. I know of a few who have said the same. One actually cancelled his surgery and ended up getting it later. Everything that you're feeling is perfectly normal. Just think you are finally headed down the road of recovery after 16 months of ups and downs. This time real recovery will take place!
Don't cancel FM! :) Get your life back hon!

Postby ravi » 29 Dec 2011, 22:36

Hi
In 2008 I cancelled my surgery as my 2 year active fissure disappeared and did not show for 15 months and then came back with a vengance . A few days later a fistula also showed up and I did a lis + fistula + colonoscopy last Thursday. 7 days later everything is under control. Never had incontinence.
My concern was waking from anesthesia as this was my first time. Thanks to the finale of everybody loves Raymond and the second concern was pain.
Dr used propofol as anesthesia and lidocane as local. Before waking me up he stuck more local anesthesia so I was pain free for 8 - 12 hrs after surgery. Before the anesthesia wore out I took percocet every 4 hrs. Took 3 to 4 colace. Ate salads and soups so I was relatively painfree compared to the fissure pain. From 4 th to 7 th day only Morton as needed.
For Bm in.the morning I maintained my regular schedule. I had a glass of hot water, tea with toast and took a percocet and 30 minutes later had a Bm. No pain.....don't let the pain win. Suppress it before it comes. 4 th day I took percocet in the morning and 2 her later I took 2 motrins.. as of today that is 7 th day no pain killer..
Regarding incontinemce the internal spinchter the Dr said in 30 yrs he never seen one after lis..
Hope you make the right decision...
Please pardon typo and grammer as am typing from my mobile..
ravi
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby ravi » 29 Dec 2011, 22:42

BTW it is good you are painfree now. Your recovery could be less stressful. The anxiety is high before the surgery but on the day of the surgery I was very calm and just believed in my decision and I was at peace. Now hoping to get my live back...Wish you all the best and wish that the new year gets a new you who is painfree...
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby Jojo1 » 30 Dec 2011, 04:30

Don't doubt your decision to have lis. The same rhing happened to me. Literally the dwy after I made the decision and set the date I hd little pain during and after where it had been excrutiating up to that point. I think the release of mental stress at just having made the decision makes a big impact. Stayed that way up until surgery, though I was still more anxious with this procedure than with any of the other, mire serious ones.
It was easy, breezy. Had it tge week before Thanksgiving. Took a 35 minute nap and went home. Some painful discomfort, about a 2 on tge scale. Did the percocet for one day and switched to tylenol. First bm two days later, soft, no pain or bleeding. Went back to work 1/2 days the next week and returned full time the next. Some discomfort after sitting too long, stll about a 2. Nothing a good relqxing soak didnt relieve.
Now at about six weeks, have had no pain or bleeding at all with bm's. Discharge has stopped. The most discomfort I had was during a performance trip to NY couple weeks before Xmas. Between the sitting in the airport, on plane, on bus and in rehearsal, I was quite tender by the time I got home. Couple of days pampering myself eith daily, longer soaks, with liberal use of witch hazel and epsom salts and I was right as rain.
You've made a good decision, dont dout yourself. Good luck tomorrow. See you on the other side of fissure hell.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby ravi » 31 Dec 2011, 08:58

How did it go. Hope u r going well
ravi
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2012, 17:00

Hi FM,
Just checking to see how things are going?? Well, I hope! :)